Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Different Glock GEN5 Ejectors for 17 and 34.5/19X...

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post

Why is this even a thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    What he said.
    Some confidence that the brass stays in it's correct position, repeatedly, on the breech face until the ejector does its job, without falling down or moving to some other location, without the magazine follower assisting the process. I fully understand that the test doesn't reflect any condition I'd ever be operating the pistol in.

To be devil's advocate - does me running this test cause a problem?

I don't know about you but I function test all my firearms with the weakest and strongest loads I run, at angles all the way from normal upright shooting to upside down and everything in between. Also with the firearm brought to snow temps, with snow/mud in the mags, limp wristing WHO, all combinations I can think of. I don't have a large firearm collection but I don't put one on "forget" mode until I've done all this.
    Last edited by STI; 11-01-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling and adding second paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    Some confidence that the brass stays in it's correct position, repeatedly, on the breech face until the ejector does its job, without falling down or moving to some other location, without the magazine follower assisting the process. I fully understand that the test doesn't reflect any condition I'd ever be operating the pistol in.

To be devil's advocate - does me running this test cause a problem?

I don't know about you but I function test all my firearms with the weakest and strongest loads I run, at angles all the way from normal upright shooting to upside down and everything in between. Also with the firearm brought to snow temps, with snow/mud in the mags, limp wristing WHO, all combinations I can think of. I don't have a large firearm collection but I don't put one on "forget" mode until I've done all this.
    Over 100,000 rounds from Glocks and never had that issue. Think it must be a 1911 thing.

PensFan
    The 1911 thing was IMO always about tuning the extractor on a 1911. Done with the slide dismounted from the frame a properly tuned extractor had to hold a live round in position to test proper tension. How this became a Glock thing I don't know.
    Last edited by PensFan; 11-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    That extractor isolation test tells you whether the extractor is holding the case in position for ejection after extraction. LOTS of Glocks ain't doing that and are using the top round in the mag as the de facto ejector. Glock is aware of it and has supposedly made an engineering change on the breechface to remedy the issue on the Gen 5 pistols. About time...
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 11-06-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thanks Wayne. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy, caring about ejection :/

I will add that taking out the stock early G17G5 ejector (same as Gen 4) and replacing it with the new G19X/G26G5 ejector changed my pistol's consistent auto-forwarding on reloads. It's intermittent and random and depending on magazine now. I put the original ejector back in.

User Tag List