Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Age begins.....

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    USMC. M-4 and M-9. Admittedly never shot another 92 variant so...
    Okay so you're telling me you've seen the USMC issue malfunctioning (broken) weapons to go into combat or for armed duties?

I went through Police Academy with a 92F--one of the most reliable pistols I ever owned. However, these days they are a no go for me--how do you mount a red dot on a 92? Even the PX4 seems more challenging to get a RDS in place....
    Last edited by DocGKR; 09-08-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

During my short time working with the military, what I saw with the Berettas is n the field was a self inflicted level of stupid. Guns carried for days in the field in sugar sand with no magazines in them. Constant loading and unloading going in and out of various buildings while full of same sugar sand. Zip for field maintenance is bad conditions. Massive difference from large agencies who issued the 92.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have between 20 and 30 examples of the 92. I'm a fan of the platform, even if I'm more accurate with my CZ's.
    | 92 Centennial x 2 | 92-Stock Competition | 92 Combat x 2 |
    | 92 Brigadier Tactical | 92G-SD | 92 Elite II in 9mm, 9x21 and 357SIG |
    | CZ SP01 Shadow | CZ P-01 in ODG | CZ-97 | Walther P5 |
    | SIG/SAN 553R | SIG/SAN 553-Diopter | SIG/SAN 551-2 SP SWAT |

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I went through Police Academy with a 92F--one of the most reliable pistols I ever owned. However, these days they are a no go for me--how do you mount a red dot on a 92? Even the PX4 seems more challenging to get a RDS in place....

Generally, you would use sight-mount. I do wish they had some other options, like longer mounts with raised rear sight/comount options.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Okay so you're telling me you've seen the USMC issue malfunctioning (broken) weapons to go into combat or for armed duties?
    Absolutely not. In fact I can’t remember ever not having one (M9) not going bang when I pulled the trigger. My experience has me seeing the M9 as a very reliable platform. His comments just made me remember all the two-toned guns that had all their finish won off by handling and if shaken could probably get a screw or pin to fall out. The LCpl armorers would issue the same 25 guns for qualifying so those would get literally thousands of rounds through them a day while others sat soaking in CLP in the racks. Seemed hard AF to get a good score on quals so we blamed the guns. Who knew it just takes alot of practice to shoot (especially DA) well? I never got the same one twice for any two deployments either!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    During my short time working with the military, what I saw with the Berettas is n the field was a self inflicted level of stupid. Guns carried for days in the field in sugar sand with no magazines in them. Constant loading and unloading going in and out of various buildings while full of same sugar sand. Zip for field maintenance is bad conditions. Massive difference from large agencies who issued the 92.
    This is a perfect description of weapons handling is in the majority of the military. At least 3 times every day going into eating facilities; unload/ show clear, dry fire into the barrel, eat, come out and reinsert mags until the next time you go inside! Clean the M4 and try not to lose my pistol.
    Last edited by TOTS; 09-09-2018 at 08:02 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    This is perhaps somewhat tangential - thought germane to the topic of this thread -but I think the explosion of high quality single stack 9mm CCW pistols is another sign that we are in a golden era for personal protection handguns.

Even in my comparatively short amount of time as a gun owner (10 years), I witnessed single stack 9mm options evolving from the limited offerings of hit or miss quality from Kel-Tec & Kahr to the highly reliable single stack pistols from S&W, Glock, Springfield, Walther. I would add SIG Sauer to the list, but, I did say highly reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    That mirrors my experience. 21yrs active duty, 22 months combat time in various oconus sand boxes, never had one not work. We just put much more emphasis on the rifle care/maintenance. If older retired from mil service me could transfer today’s knowledge to younger me, it would have been different in my units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Third-gen Smiths were there all along, until they weren't. IMO, the Shield isn't close to replacing the 39XX single stacks.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Generally, you would use sight-mount.
    That is a no go for defensive or duty use, as the sight-mount does not allow for a BIS.

Third-gen Smiths were there all along, until they weren't. IMO, the Shield isn't close to replacing the 39XX single stacks.
    Yup....those single stack S&W's in the 39xx range where the best off-duty pistols I ever used.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List