Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 285: Triple Nickel

Week 285: Triple Nickel

Results may be posted until October 7th, 2018.

Designed by: the Federal Air Marshal firearms training unit
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: see below
    Start Position: from concealment or a duty/retention holster
    Rounds Fired: 10

Targets can be (a) the 4/5 zone of a Transtar II, (b) the bottle of a QIT target, (c) the A/B/C zones of a USPSA Metric target, or (d) the -0 and -1 zones of an IDPA target. Any bullet strike completely within the designated area counts as a hit; any strike that touches the line or falls outside the designated area counts as a miss. There must be at least 18" between each target.

Shooter begins facing the target, hands at sides, gun in holster loaded with no more than nine rounds (shooter chooses to load anywhere between one and nine rounds). On the buzzer, draw and fire exactly two shots at each of the five targets. Shooter will need to perform a reload to accomplish this.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (concealed or duty)
    Time
    Number of hits
    Make and model of gun and holster
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I ran this twice with a neighboring department that used the academy range to do their annual handgun qual. You won’t be able to see it in the photo but the targets have a faint grey line making a silhouette inside the head and torso. We drew a horizontal line across the torso at the point where the elbows bend making an area about the size of an IDPA -0/-1 zone.

This is just to show the target setup. There are a lot of pasted hits and misses from five shooters shooting numerous other drills.

Start position (concealed or duty) concealed AIWB under a closed front button down shirt
    Time 5.96 (-1) and 5.54 C
    Number of hits 19/20
    Make and model of gun and holster G19-5 in a Dark Star Gear Orion holster
    Anything you noticed I’ve only ever run this twice before. It’s very uncommon for me to be shooting in a place with five targets. It’s definitely a fun drill. During the first run I loaded my mags 9 and 1 and during the second run I did 8 and 2. Like the FAST, it’s not hard to do everything you need to do in this drill. It’s a completely different thing to put all these tasks together under 5s. I still remember the video of TLG shooting the targets in the order that resulted in the farthest transitions and coming in under 5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    During the first run I loaded my mags 9 and 1 and during the second run I did 8 and 2. Like the FAST, it’s not hard to do everything you need to do in this drill. It’s a completely different thing to put all these tasks together under 5s. I still remember the video of TLG shooting the targets in the order that resulted in the farthest transitions and coming in under 5s.

I shot this a few times with a G17, G26 and G22 yesterday but had many brain cramps. Like loaded mags with 1 and 9 but then only shot the first target once and transitioned to the next after the reload, like rode the mag release on a run and had to power stroke the reload then finished it SHO (that was my most fun one).

But ironically my best was with my G22, nice and clean and best time of the day but over 5.0.

Biggest brain cramp of all was I forgot it was a concealed draw deal. Easy to forget in this heat. Will try it again.

Not sure if I will again load two in order to jump on the reload early or load 8 and reload late. I think I hit my reloads better and smoother late in the string.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-10-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I shot this a few times yesterday with a G17, G26 and G22 yesterday but had many brain cramps. Like loaded mags with 1 and 9 but then only shot the first target once and transitioned to the next after the reload, like rode the mag release on a run and had to power stroke the reload then finished it SHO (that was my most fun one).

But ironically my best was with my G22, nice and clean and best time of the day but over 5.0.

Biggest brain cramp of all was I forgot it was a concealed draw deal. Easy to forget in this heat. Will try it again.

Not sure if I will again load two in order to jump on the reload early or load 8 and reload late. I think I hit my reloads better and smoother late in the string.
    From a strictly gaming the drill perspective, i like to reload after 8 so that if i screw up coming off the reload all i need to do is drive the gun out to the last target and get out two rounds. I can do that with a sub par grip or whatever abnormality may come from a screwed up reload caused from running on the ragged edge of my performance envelope.

Granted that's all for simply chasing numbers and having a smooth clean run is the goal, but things happen when pushing.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    From a strictly gaming the drill perspective, i like to reload after 8 so that if i screw up coming off the reload all i need to do is drive the gun out to the last target and get out two rounds. I can do that with a sub par grip or whatever abnormality may come from a screwed up reload caused from running on the ragged edge of my performance envelope.

Granted that's all for simply chasing numbers and having a smooth clean run is the goal, but things happen when pushing.
    Thanks! I think gaming is appropriate for the Triple Nickel. It's a test of attributes but not a realistic scenario to stand and mow down the first rank of advancing regulars.

What do you think of shoot 9 reload 1 for the same reasons you stated of shoot 8 reload 2?
    Last edited by JHC; 09-10-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks! I think gaming is appropriate for the Triple Nickel. It's a test of attributes but not a realistic scenario to stand and mow down the first rank of advancing regulars.

What do you think of shoot 9 reload 1 for the same reasons you stated of shoot 8 reload 2?
    I could swear I read somewhere that the official rules required the reload to be in between targets meaning you had to have an even number of rounds in the gun to start with but, as usual, I’m probably wrong.

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I could swear I read somewhere that the official rules required the reload to be in between targets meaning you had to have an even number of rounds in the gun to start with but, as usual, I’m probably wrong.

Don’t see that anywhere here:

http://www.triplenickel.org/wp-conte...e-of-Fire.docx
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I think by reloading at 8 you save yourself a transition since you're doing the reload and then driving to a new target rather than transitioning to the last target then also performing a reload on that target.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Looks like I was partially right and partially wrong. The rules say the reload must be done after the first target but before the fifth target so the gun can have anywhere from 2-8 rounds to start.

Last edited by WobblyPossum; 09-10-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Further reading showed the reload must also be done AFTER the first target

I usually do a reload after T1.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List