Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Supply from Underwood Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is that a real FMJ or a plated bullet?

Shellshock Tech cases?
    Looks plated to me.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    So is it a true jacketed bullet or a plated? And is the case the two-piece stuff made by Shellshock Technologies?

Not necessarily bashing Underwood but sometimes they change a product's specs without updating the website. Case in point is their 190gr cast 44SPL load. It was listed on the website as being gas checked. After shooting a couple into gel it was immediately clear they were not. A call to the company confirmed that they had changed to a different bullet without changing the site.

CCI calls their blazer brass a "FMJ" but it's plated. So maybe they are not using the strict definition of Full Metal Jacket.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Last night I was enjoying Friday night libations in excess, because of an inability during these periods for sound judgment I try to avoid posting. But over morning coffee I pulled a round apart and would have to say they are plated. I say this seeing the bottom of the bullet is covered in copper, my understanding is FMJ will have exposed lead on the bottom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Last night I was enjoying Friday night libations in excess, because of an inability during these periods for sound judgment I try to avoid posting. But over morning coffee I pulled a round apart and would have to say they are plated. I say this seeing the bottom of the bullet is covered in copper, my understanding is FMJ will have exposed lead on the bottom.
    Depends on who made the bullet. A TMJ bullet, as used by CCI/Speer in the Lawman product, has no exposed lead including the bullet base. A plated bullet may look similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Depends on who made the bullet. A TMJ bullet, as used by CCI/Speer in the Lawman product, has no exposed lead including the bullet base. A plated bullet may look similar.
    TMJ is Speer's name for a heavily plated bullet, no?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    TMJ is Speer's name for a heavily plated bullet, no?

Total Metal Jacket. I don’t know if they plate super heavy, or have a different mechanism for applying a jacket to the lead core that allows them to enclose it completely in a jacket.

Research, including perhaps cutting apart a bullet, commences now.

ETA:
    “All options are loaded with a TMJ® bullet with a plated jacket that encapsulates the entire lead core.”

Obfuscation? They seem to call it a plated jacket, which confuses what they actually mean. Off to pull a bullet.
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-15-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Total Metal Jacket. I don’t know if they plate super heavy, or have a different mechanism for applying a jacket to the lead core that allows them to enclose it completely in a jacket.

Research, including perhaps cutting apart a bullet, commences now.

ETA:
    “All options are loaded with a TMJ[emoji2400] bullet with a plated jacket that encapsulates the entire lead core.”

Obfuscation? They seem to call it a plated jacket, which confuses what they actually mean. Off to pull a bullet.
    It may very well be a proprietary method but I believe the jacket is applied via electrochemical process. Maybe plating isn't the right word in Speer's case.

I was afraid my understanding may have been a little outdated or over simplistic. Lets see if this helps.
    Attachment 30297

User Tag List