Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Audio Books

Site Supporter

Recommended Audio Books

Here in Wyoming, we drive a lot - e.g. 150 miles to the nearest "mall". I've taken to audio books to help pass the time. Some well-written books are poorly narrated. I'm currently listening to "Gates of Fire" https://www.amazon.com/Gates-Fire-No...f+fire+audible. Like the written version, it's excellent. What trips your audio book trigger? Best, ELN.

My wife & I both enjoyed Patrick Tull’s narration of the Patrick O’Brian series.

https://mobile.audible.com/search?na...=2&submitted=1

Marko Kloos' Frontlines series on Audible is narrated by a guy named Luke Daniels. Excellent books made excellent-er by Daniel's narration. If you like near future military sci-fi, these books are amazing.

World War Z by Max Brooks. He narrates some of it, and has a bunch of Hollywood actors do the other parts--very well done. NOT like the movie--much better.

Last Centurion by John Ringo. Narrator is Dan John Miller. Very well done.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Narrator is Jonathan Davis. Also very well done. Amusing in parts where actual technology has out-paced the future setting of the book. I think it was written 15 or so years ago...

The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit, all narrated by Rob Inglis.

The Screwtape Letters, as narrated by Ralph Cosham.

Farenheit 451, narrated by Tim Robbins.

Brave New World, narrated by Michael York.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, narrated by Nick Offerman. I'm sure his version of Tom Sawyer is worth a listen, too.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Hammertime
    For long drives, I like ear candy such as any of the Lee Child Reacher series read by Dick Hill. He is an amazing performer and the books are entertaining enough to keep me awake on longer drives.

The Dead Six series by Larry Correia and Mike Kupari narrated by Bronson Pinchot

Monster Hunter Memoirs by Larry Correia and John Ringo narrated by Oliver Wyman

The adventures of Tom Stranger Interdimensional Insurance Agent and Murder of Manatees by Larry Correia narrated by Adam Baldwin. Warning you’ll be laughing a lot so watch your driving.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    My wife & I both enjoyed Patrick Tull’s narration of the Patrick O’Brian series.

https://mobile.audible.com/search?na...=2&submitted=1
    YES!! Very entertaining. Good books to read as well.

I've enjoyed the Heinlein books, Starship Troopers in particular.

I also like Asimov's Caves of Steel.

Gunsmoke.

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Very amusing.

Fort Laramie by CBS radio. Top quality production.

The BBC production of The Hobbit. Their version of LOTR was rather dry.

The Harry Bosch Series by Michael Connolly.

The Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson.

Casca: The Eternal Mercenary by Barry Sadler.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Just listened to my first audiobook- subject was Negotiation and I really enjoyed. My drive doubled in length with my new job- so I plan to listen to quite a few more. I think the morning is best for a business book and the evening will be for fiction.

Perfect timing for this thread.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    If you like non-fiction, Adam Corolla's books are great. He reads them, and often adds side bars not in the books. Plus they are rather funny.

I am a big Audible fan. My tastes are purely non-fiction.

Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
    Walter Lord, Norman Dietz

The Generals: Patton, MacArthur, Marshall, and the Winning of World War II
    Winston Groom

The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King - The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea
    Walter Borneman, Brian Troxell

Grant
    Ron Chernow, Mark Bramhall

Thunder in the Mountains: Chief Joseph, Oliver Otis Howard, and the Nez Perce War
    Daniel Sharfstein, Joe Barrett

Man-Hunters of the Old West
    Robert K. DeArment, Thomas Stone

Cavalier in Buckskin: George Armstrong Custer and the Western Military Frontier
    Robert M. Utley, Roy Lunel

Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny
    Brian Kilmeade, Don Yaeger

A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918
    G. J. Meyer, Robin Sachs

Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East
    Michael B. Oren, Robert Whitfield

Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869
    Stephen E. Ambrose, Jeffrey DeMunn

The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II
    Jay A. Stout, Paul Woodson

D DAY Through German Eyes: The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944
    Holger Eckhertz, P. J. Ochlan

The Day the World Ended at Little Big Horn: A Lakota History
    Joseph M. Marshall III

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
    S. C. Gwynne, David Drummond

The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West
    Peter Cozzens, John Pruden

Undaunted Courage
    Stephen E. Ambrose

Texas Ranger: The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, the Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde
    John Boessenecker, Graham Winton

The Apache Wars: The Hunt for Geronimo, the Apache Kid, and the Captive Boy Who Started the Longest War in American History
    Paul Andrew Hutton, Jonathan Yen

American Heritage History of the Indian Wars: American Heritage Series Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
    David Drummond (Narrator), Robert M. Utley (Author), Wilcomb E. Washburn (Author)

Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
    Robert Coram (Author), Patrick Lawlor (Narrator)

Deep Survival: True Stories of Miraculous Endurance and Sudden Death Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
    Laurence Gonzales (Author), Stefan Rudnicki (Narrator)

Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps’ Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
    Patrick Van Horne (Author), Jason A. Riley (Author), Danny Campbell (Narrator)

User Tag List