Thread: Force Science Institute's "Realistic De-Escalation"

AAR: Force Science Institute's "Realistic De-Escalation"

Reference thread, “Dealing with the non-violent mentally ill”
    Link: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....823#post761823

My post #11, https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post761823

Quote Originally Posted by ST911
    Slide sidetrack, but likely topical. I am going to this class. Anyone been?
    Realistic De-escalation Training, http://www.forcescience.org/deescalation.html
    I went.

BLUF: Legendary research and cadre, but poor training product. If you have previous training in CIT concepts and the research products from FSI, skip this class unless you need the certificate. Will not repeat, will not recommend.

The good: Highly credentialed and credible instructors with deep subject matter expertise. Solid foundation of science-based material, with nods to related product (CIT) and previous research. Instructors were friendly, and behaved professionally with no foul language except in scenario context. Stayed on track, stayed on time. Gems include the Azar-Dickens Police Assessment Matrix and exposure to other FSI research for those unaware. Does not adopt pop-culture SJW “de-escalation” ideas, but tactically sound methods. Included information on assessing subjects and identifying ways to deliver de-escalation (CIT) while not endangering officers. A/V examples, such as news clips and car/body camera footage were on point and some were pretty recent. Handouts provided include ~250 of the powerpoint slides shown and some additional summary sheets.

The bad: Class is entirely (lengthy) lecture format with a very low level of interaction and no hands-on. Interaction was limited to periodic questions from the same 3-5 students, during breaks, and a large group exercise on day 2. Starting lecture included heavy use of terminology explained with other terminology, lessening later. Irregular breaks. Most students checked out by hour 2 of day 1, evidenced by off-topic use of devices, side conversations, and wandering. This continued through the end of the course. Instructors appeared unaware of student disengagement and did not adapt. At least one instructor's cell phone ringer stayed on. Culminating exercise on day 2 was an awkward scenario discussion with the entire class, driven by a powerpoint description, instructor questions, and responses from a half dozen students. Exercise duration exceeded utility.

Comments: This class is essentially a reframed CIT with some tweaked terminology and integrating previous FSI research product. The class had some good information spread throughout, but it was delinked and delivered in a way that made it extremely difficult to pay attention to. Ironically, Dr Lewinsky himself spoke to this at the start of the course noting that this was blocked training, how ineffective blocked training is, and later how students will struggle with retention and need to revisit the material. That's what's so ironic... They are so keenly aware of shortcomings in LE training, yet this (and other) training product perfectly models what they know doesn’t work. Physical, spatial, behavioral, interpersonal skills cannot be taught solely via lecture. If this class remains in lecture format, considerable fat could be trimmed from the presentation and duration reduced to a single day. This class would also be better advertised as an information seminar, as the language used in the existing description creates much more expectation of proficiency than is delivered.

I remain deeply appreciative of the research and advocacy work Dr Lewinsky and FSI do, and will continue to use it. However, this course was a no-go for me.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I hope you let them know your thoughts, feelings, and concerns....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Additional Force Science notes...

I talked with Dr. Lewinski about this when he was not in the lecture hall. He granted some of the points above. Along with his staff, I don't think they have the knowledge to change their instruction. It could be done, but it would be some work to do it.

User Tag List