Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Situational awareness and taking basic precautions

My home was several blocks from this Albertsons and I had often made a "quick run" to the store for misc. breakfast needs for the family, often between 0500 and 0530 as I normally left for work at 0600-0615. After this happened I was pretty conflicted. I felt both lucky I (or the wife) wasn't present and involved and sad that I wasn't there to possibly stop it. Hard to explain.

"LAS VEGAS - A camouflage-clad man roamed through a supermarket blasting with a shotgun today, killing four people and wounding one before being arrested by officers who talked him out of taking his own life."

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1999/ju...grocery-store/
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

@FNFAN, that’s awful. I’m glad your family wasn’t there when it happened.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There's a guy where I work that rides around on his bike all night long with a sword strapped to his back.
    That's just MacLeod getting his cardio in. Hard to sleep through the night at his age, doncha know!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Hell, I don't go to Wal-mart in the day time. Once I discovered Amazon, actually going to a big box store to purchase tube socks and D cell batteries lost whatever appeal it had pretty quickly. If I need something *now* it's probably from a hardware store. Most anything else can be delivered.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Hell, I don't go to Wal-mart in the day time. Once I discovered Amazon, actually going to a big box store to purchase tube socks and D cell batteries lost whatever appeal it had pretty quickly. If I need something *now* it's probably from a hardware store. Most anything else can be delivered.
    THIS right here. Even the Walmart in the most affluent area of TN (which has valet parking, mind you) has become sketchy.

I Amazon Prime everything. From chocolate covered cashews to Safariland QLS forks to my Ralph Lauren crew socks. And even shoes. I’m at the old man stage of life where I just buy duplicate, replacement shoes, pants, t-shirts, etc, from Amazon (then bitch about how the old ones were superior).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I like shopping at Walmart. During the daytime.
    Low prices. Great people-watching. Food, household, yard, ammo and car stuff in one stop.
    For extra entertainment, I find myself contersurveiling for low-lifes looking to target the folks that come on the bus from the retirement communities.
    Always a smiling, friendly oldster at the door. And there's a Subway, if I'm hungry.

The local Walmart has one of those giant in-store pick-up towers, for picking up online orders.
    The only place with a bigger vending machine is Carvana, which is awesome enough to make me want to buy a car from them.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not to derail the thread but I, too, have noticed lately a lot of people who claim to have narrowly escaped being kidnapped or having a loved one kidnapped by sex traffickers only to miraculously escape and then bravely share their story (anonymously) online. Of course, the police are never involved because that would be too traumatic but rehashing the details in an online forum are apparently not.

WTF? These people need to be pushed back on and hard. There are no lessons to be learned from this nonsense or at least none when it comes to actual self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There's a guy where I work that rides around on his bike all night long with a sword strapped to his back.

I have yet to meet a homeless person in Colorado Springs who isn't armed with something. Lately they've caught a couple of them with guns that they've stolen out of cars.

I only approach homeless people at work when my job requires it. I have a coworker who buys food and cigarettes for the homeless people (who we're supposed to be kicking off property) that hang out around where I work. Which makes every else's life harder because "Well Chuck said we could stay." Which leaves me with I don't care what Chuck said you need to leave or I'm calling the cops.
    FIRE CHUCK !

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I like shopping at Walmart. During the daytime.
    Low prices. Great people-watching. Food, household, yard, ammo and car stuff in one stop.
    For extra entertainment, I find myself contersurveiling for low-lifes looking to target the folks that come on the bus from the retirement communities.
    Always a smiling, friendly oldster at the door. And there's a Subway, if I'm hungry.

The local Walmart has one of those giant in-store pick-up towers, for picking up online orders.
    The only place with a bigger vending machine is Carvana, which is awesome enough to make me want to buy a car from them.
    Like shopping at Walmart?

You, sir, have clearly lost your mind.
    Last edited by ubervic; 09-05-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Like shopping at Walmart?

You, sir, have clearly lost your mind.

"Now why would you go and say a thing like that?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List