Page 18 of 105 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kavanaugh hearings.

I just read some of the requested conditions. Most notably, the accuser wants to testify second, after Kavanaugh!
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I just read some of the requested conditions. Most notably, the accuser wants to testify second, after Kavanaugh!
    Does she or her attorney get to see any of his testimony before she testifies?

I mean, I know that's what she wants, but I'm curious just how stupid the committee Republicans are.

The request that only senators (rather than an attorney or other designee) question her would be curious as well if it wasn't painfully obvious her attorney wasn't trying to get midterm fodder of some White Male (tm) Republican questioning her in a manner in which Everyday Feminism would not approve.

She wants a camera there. This way the image will be a room full of old white guys interrogating her. It's quite brilliant. If they say no then there will be a delayed negotiation for a week and then she will say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    She wants a camera there. This way the image will be a room full of old white guys interrogating her. It's quite brilliant. If they say no then there will be a delayed negotiation for a week and then she will say no.

She's made an allegation and an accusation. It's her responsibility to substantiate. (The accused shouldn't need to put on a defense, similar to a court of law.)

She doesn't get to state the conditions under which she will share the alleged facts.

She's been presented an opportunity to air her grievance. If she doesn't take it, she shouldn't be taken seriously and should be sent packing. Period.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I get the feeling she’ll testify one way or another. They’re going to milk it for all it’s worth and either way it’s going to be banked on heavily by the Dems for the midterms and the next presidential election.

I believe she’ll testify, the charade gets drawn out until the committee decides to flat out call BS and tell her to pound sand because there isn’t an iota of credible evidence. Then the Dems will parade her about as some “survivor” who showed how the Republicans are a bunch of patriarchal sexists and the very reason more women don’t come forward out of fear of not being believed.

The best possible mitigation would be for a Republican to bring in a proven victim of sexual assault (meaning there was a trial with credible evidence and preferably a conviction) that happened equally as long ago who can distinctly remember every sensory detail of their incident to help demonstrate how full of crap Ford is. But then some psychiatrist will testify she (Ford) can’t remember because of her mind wanting to suppress the incident.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    She's made an allegation and an accusation. It's her responsibility to substantiate. (The accused shouldn't need to put on a defense, similar to a court of law.)

She doesn't get to state the conditions under which she will share the alleged facts.

She's been presented an opportunity to air her grievance. If she doesn't take it, she shouldn't be taken seriously and should be sent packing. Period.
    Sure she does. This is not about a hearing. This is about delays, outrage, and midterms.

If the Repubs were smart, they would pull Kavanaugh, insert the potential lady justice, don't have hearings and just hold a vote 24 hours after she is nominated.

Site Supporter
    I think that would be a short term short sighted win...Pulling Kavanaugh under current circumstances would cement this BS as a viable, effective tactic that will be used on every nomination in the future. As soon as a candidate for any position gets nominated teams of attorneys would comb high school yearbooks seeking pliable cooperative former classmates willing to embellish or outright lie under oath to ramp up pressure.

It has building to this and it needs to be stopped and exposed for what it is.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I think that would be a short term short sighted win...Pulling Kavanaugh under current circumstances would cement this BS as a viable, effective tactic that will be used on every nomination in the future. As soon as a candidate for any position gets nominated teams of attorneys would comb high school yearbooks seeking pliable cooperative former classmates willing to embellish or outright lie under oath to ramp up pressure.

It has building to this and it needs to be stopped and exposed for what it is.

pat
    It can't be stopped. SCOTUS nominees are completely partisan now and have been for a decade. Best to just have a party line vote.

I have to admit I found her claim to be reasonably credible, at least enough to warrant a decent background investigation. However the past week it seems she and her handlers are constantly moving the goalposts by agreeing to testify, then she won't, then adding new conditions, etc. At some point enough has to be enough.

And... Now Trump has escaped his cage and is ranting. Well so much for that.

User Tag List