Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kavanaugh hearings.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I am curious to know from those of you who have conducted investigations and interviewed witnesses, what your impressions were of the two testimonies yesterday. Who did you find credible?
    Besides Kavenaugh and Grassley?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

If the accusers follow through and file a local / state report in MD that is a completely separate issue and so far none of them have been willing to do that. You may read into that what you will.
    HCM/All you guys smarter than me:

Do you mean to say that Dr. Ford can file charges against Judge Cavanaugh?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Both Ford and Swetnick are alleging crimes that occurred in Maryland, which according to reports has no statute of limitations for sex crimes...any Maryland LEOs here that can attest to that?

As for the credibility of Ford and Kavanaugh...it's not just the individuals "compelling" story or how sympathetic they are. What does the evidence say? So far , none of the accusers has presented anything close to corroboration. In fact, all of their own "witnesses" either can't recall or refute what they claim. The political timing, attorney contacts, obvious partisan histories...they all smell bad, but aren't definitive. What is, to me, compelling is that there is NO EVIDENCE OR CORROBORATION of their stories, but some circumstantial evidence in Kavanaughs favor. That empirical observation cost me a happy 22nd anniversary last weekend, but I can't overlook the obvious, no matter how sympathetic or "believable" the accuser.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

"Justice" Editor for ThinkProgress:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    HCM/All you guys smarter than me:

Do you mean to say that Dr. Ford can file charges against Judge Cavanaugh?
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Both Ford and Swetnick are alleging crimes that occurred in Maryland, which according to reports has no statute of limitations for sex crimes...any Maryland LEOs here that can attest to that?

As for the credibility of Ford and Kavanaugh...it's not just the individuals "compelling" story or how sympathetic they are. What does the evidence say? So far , none of the accusers has presented anything close to corroboration. In fact, all of their own "witnesses" either can't recall or refute what they claim. The political timing, attorney contacts, obvious partisan histories...they all smell bad, but aren't definitive. What is, to me, compelling is that there is NO EVIDENCE OR CORROBORATION of their stories, but some circumstantial evidence in Kavanaughs favor. That empirical observation cost me a happy 22nd anniversary last weekend, but I can't overlook the obvious, no matter how sympathetic or "believable" the accuser.
    Rich,

I doubt I’m smarter than you but it’s more in my lane. The short answer is no, they can’t.

I had read the statute but the current statute doesn’t tell the whole story.

Under the current MD statute there is no statute of limitations on felony sex crimes and the statute of limitations on misdemeanors is 1 year. Under current MD statute attempted rape is a felony with no statute of limitations.

Here is where it gets tricky. The MD legislature made attempted rape a felony and removed the statute of limitations in 1996. The alleged crime occurred in the 1980s and would therefore have to be handled under the law as it was at the time of occurrence- which was a misdemeanor with a 1 year statute of limitations.

None of that prevents them making a police report to make an official complaint but it won’t go anywhere.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-28-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    "Justice" Editor for ThinkProgress:

They think putting a guy who generally wants to follow the constitution on the bench of the court whose role it is to weigh laws against the constitution is "the destruction of our democracy".

Yeah, Trump is the loony one. Suuuuure.

What would happen if the editor of some conservative site posted the exact same thing about Democrats?

You want fascists? This is how you get fascists. These scum could make even the most peaceable folks see the practical utility of mass graves.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I am curious to know from those of you who have conducted investigations and interviewed witnesses, what your impressions were of the two testimonies yesterday. Who did you find credible?
    I've only had the opportunity to see Kavanaugh's opening due to work, but what I will say is that he performed exactly as I'd want an innocent to perform: vehement, unequivocal denials and outrage at the mere suggestion of that conduct -- and the, unfortunately, permanent blemish in some's eyes on the reputation he's spent years building.

For those in the media and on the left who were in turn upset with his denials and frank attacks on how this has been handled by Senate Democrats and the media: fuck them. They earned it. If #MeToo means an innocent man cannot assert that innocence, fuck #MeToo .

As much as I would have liked to have seen each of them stand up to true cross-examination, I don't know that I'll watch the questioning of either party. To me, good cross is the moneymaker when it comes to evaluating credibility for things like this. Here, the format simply sounds too disjointed. From the sound of it, you have something approaching proper questioning repeatedly broken up by softballs thrown to Ford plus YouTube bait virtue signaling and presidential campaigning, and partisan attacks on Kavanaugh repeatedly broken up by softballs and grandstanding by the Republicans. Neither format is ideal to me -- again, a good (continuous) cross-examination makes or breaks someone's credibility in my experience. Five minutes per just isn't enough time to properly develop something like this.

Again, I've not seen Ford's statement yet in full so I won't comment there. I plan to watch it.

I’m not familiar with MD case law, but reading the statute what ford described was no where near the statutory definitions of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault. I think The whole “I though he might kill me” thing is was thrown in there to try to encompass a felonious assault.

The Dems use the scary sexual assault word, but in being dramatic they ensured Kavanaugh wasn’t perjuring himself by denying that he sexually assaulted or attempted to sexually assault ford.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Name:  185599ceaaae9d677cac4896b47d46df.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  55.4 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List