Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for outdoor security cameras

Looking for outdoor security cameras

Looking for something that doesn't require creating an account, having a subscription or agreeing to a privacy policy.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If you consider yourself somewhat technically astute, you can roll your own IP camera system.

I use Blue Iris software on a spare PC for my NVR and have set up my own network of various IP cameras using power over ethernet. All my data is my own. I ran and crimped my cable runs on my own in addition to a wireless doorbell camera that is ONVIF compatible so it's supported by blue Iris.

Trail cameras?

Duces

My Reolinks have been outdoors running for just over 5 years now on their solar panels, out of 5 cameras only two units have ever failed, both last year and I suspect lightning damage. They only talk to my internet router as far as I know, easy no subscription smart phone access once it is set up, no remote recording.

How big of a system are you wanting? 4 stationary cams one on each side of the house? A single pan-tilt-zoom that can cover your driveway and porch? Do you want to be able to view from your phone while at home? While away from home? Do you want to store images/movies for 7, 30 or 365 days?

The answers to all these questions will determine what you need.

Like EMC, I'm such a nerd that I have a server (linux) running 24/7 and run my stationary cams though it. I also control my PTZ cam for my front yard/driveway/porch with that server.

Software like Blue Iris, iSpy, Security Eye, can manage multiple cams and store the video but you have to install/manage it and leave the PC on 24/7.

For a single PTZ camera like my Amcrest, I can control it using a web browser and it stores the video on it's own microSD card. It's a 128MB card and holds about 48 hrs of full time video. You can extend that tremendously by setting it to record only on motion detection. So that requires only the camera, a way to get power/network to it and a PC with a web browser.

I guess the point is that it can be simple or very complex depending on what you want.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    If you consider yourself somewhat technically astute, you can roll your own IP camera system.

I use Blue Iris software on a spare PC for my NVR and have set up my own network of various IP cameras using power over ethernet. All my data is my own. I ran and crimped my cable runs on my own in addition to a wireless doorbell camera that is ONVIF compatible so it's supported by blue Iris.

Gringop's Security Camera Nerdgasm #2.

Night camera coverage:

Most cameras can switch to IR mode after it gets dark enough. IR mode cameras will work well with white light if it is low enough to not trigger the camera to switch back to white light mode but bright enough to illuminate the area.

Case in point, my truck got broken into in my driveway, side window smashed and tools stolen. The non IR capable stationary camera caught only one frame when the thief shined a flashlight into the truck window, that pic was useless for ID, it only showed the time of the flash.

I countered with changing that stationary camera to one that was IR capable. But that camera only has a ring of little IR LEDs around the lens. Not much output and not enough to ID someone. I bought a $40 40W IR illuminator on Amazon and that combined with a motion sensitive white light flood light does a good job of illuminating my driveway for both my stationary cam and my PTZ cam.

The point is non-pro level ($$$) camera installations may/will need supplemental IR and/or white light illumination after dark to produce useful images. Also, they may be configurable to adjust them to darker environments.

Gringop

PS: Will 12V $40 40W IR illuminators from Amazon work for driving down country roads at 50mph using PVS-14s as well as just parking lights? Stay tuned.
    Last edited by gringop; 02-23-2023 at 02:38 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post

I have no idea what any of that means! [emoji16]

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    How big of a system are you wanting? 4 stationary cams one on each side of the house? A single pan-tilt-zoom that can cover your driveway and porch? Do you want to be able to view from your phone while at home? While away from home? Do you want to store images/movies for 7, 30 or 365 days?

The answers to all these questions will determine what you need.

Like EMC, I'm such a nerd that I have a server (linux) running 24/7 and run my stationary cams though it. I also control my PTZ cam for my front yard/driveway/porch with that server.

Software like Blue Iris, iSpy, Security Eye, can manage multiple cams and store the video but you have to install/manage it and leave the PC on 24/7.

For a single PTZ camera like my Amcrest, I can control it using a web browser and it stores the video on it's own microSD card. It's a 128MB card and holds about 48 hrs of full time video. You can extend that tremendously by setting it to record only on motion detection. So that requires only the camera, a way to get power/network to it and a PC with a web browser.

I guess the point is that it can be simple or very complex depending on what you want.

Gringop
    I was thinking of 2, possibly as much as 4. Two on the front looking different directions and maybe one or two in the back.

I think two stationary are probably better than one tilt, pan, zoom because the possibility of it being left in the wrong direction or zoomed to far in.

Are your cameras wifi or wired to the server?

This actually sounds interesting. Is there a idiot's how to guide for this?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

You can look at Eufy cameras. They have products that have limited local storage so you don't have to pay a subscription. I don't know about the rest of the things like their privacy policy, etc.

https://us.eufy.com/collections/security

I’ve been happy with my Wyze cameras. v3. Mine are direct wired and use a microSD card. I’ll screen shot some outdoor pictures after the sun goes down.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List