Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Israeli Commando Brigade switching from the Tavor to M4s

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You might begin to wonder if the M4 isn't the flaming piece of crap the media likes to say it is every 2-3 years.

(sarcasm)
    We had the AUG for a while. I was glad to dump it for the M4.

About 4 years back, We got 4 full auto SBR SCARs sent to the office. we were supposed to let the SRT (swat) types and instructors finger them for 30 days. We took a survey on what we thought, and took a vote. Dump the M4 for the new sexy SCAR, or keep the M4? It was unanimous to keep the M4.

Funny thing is, on day one, it was close to unanimous to switch to the SCAR when everyone was fingering them in the office. "It looks sooooo cool". Then they spent a few days running with them and shooting them. The "looks cool" gave way to "this kind of sucks" pretty quickly.

Do we have some issues with our M4s? Yes. Typically its people trying to armorer shit they don't know how to armor. Last week I had a 3 round burst cam screw the gun, so that in semi, they gun had a dead trigger (fail to reset) every three rounds. But over all, they run well.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    ...Typically its people trying to armorer shit they don't know how to armor.

So who is tasked with inspection / repair of your weapons?

Can someone post/discuss the given reasons in the article for why the change occurred?

I'm currently in a country that blocks access to anything related to Israel on the interwebs and the VPN is just too damn slow.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Agency certified armorers. Either field armorers (collateral duty for firearms instructors) or the armorers at the national armory.

When you were in the USAF what would happen if “regular joe” airman decided to swap out his M4 pistol grip and lost the safety detention or removed the castle nut to add his own Mag ASAP receiver end plate and mis threaded the receiver extension while re-installing it?

That is what he is talking about.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-04-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You might begin to wonder if the M4 isn't the flaming piece of crap the media likes to say it is every 2-3 years.

(sarcasm)
    It’s only a flaming piece of crap when troops/cops are using it, the rest of the time it’s a death-dealing murder machine unmatched in lethality.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When you were in the USAF what would happen if “regular joe” airman decided to swap out his M4 pistol grip and lost the safety detention or removed the castle nut to add his own Mag ASAP receiver end plate and mis threaded the receiver extension while re-installing it?
    That airman’s very best scenario would be getting to brief the flight at the next guardmount on why you’re not allowed to mess with your rifle, along with some wall to wall counseling.

In today’s Air Force he’d also get an LOC at the least and more likely an LOR.

Agency certified armorers. Either field armorers (collateral duty for firearms instructors) or the armorers at the national armory.

^^ Exactly ^^

Also, removing receiver end plate and losing spring and detent for rear take down pin. Adding new pistol grip and miss threading screw into receiver and eating up the threads, or not staking the castle nut when trying to sneak on a new end plate, or the guy who tried to install a magpul trigger guard and broke an ear off the lower receiver hammering in the roll pin (So he used electrical tape to hold it all together thinking no one would notice... and my personal favorite, removing the FSP and installing a clamp on gas block, but only installing it with two screws, not the three it came with. It actually stayed on the gun for 5 rounds before it blew apart...

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

Every January/February we have the armorers do a full inspection of all duty guns. It can get scary what we find.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 09-04-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Said Airman would be in trouble especially if they ruined the lower receiver...the idea that someone out there would even think about doing that is bizarre to me. The worst thing I saw was unapproved slings and maybe optics.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Can someone post/discuss the given reasons in the article for why the change occurred?

I'm currently in a country that blocks access to anything related to Israel on the interwebs and the VPN is just too damn slow.

Entirety of the article:
    Israel Defense has learned that the IDF Commando Brigade will replace its current Tavor assault rifles with M4 Carbines.

The brigade has already received the first batch of the new rifles, which will arm both regular servicemen and reservists. The Tavor AR was used in the Egoz and Rimon units.

This move aims to standardize the weapons carried by all warfighters across the brigade. Naturally, the process could take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    It really is hard to beat the AR pattern carbine/rifle for anything the average service member needs a carbine or rifle for. I don’t plan on replacing my ARs until we start fielding laser weapons or miniaturized rail guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, just what you see pal...

User Tag List