Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going through police hiring proccess...

Going through police hiring proccess...

So, a little background about myself first, I'm 33 and have been at my current job for 11 years. I work as a maintenance lineman for a local telecommunications company. I mostly enjoy my job but, I have always been interested in getting into law enforcement. I have a couple buddies that work for the local police dept and have done a couple ride alongs and really enjoyed those. Two years ago I decided to pursue this career. I started running and working out everyday and dropped about 30lbs. In October of 2017 I submitted my application. The hiring process started in Jan of 2018. I passed the physical test, written test, oral interview , and merit board interview. Only the top 40 went on to the Merit Board interview and I finished at #22 on that list. All of this took until around April to complete. I didn't make the cut for the July academy and at that time they were at #7 on my list. Then on 8/22 I recieved a conditional job offer, which I of course accepted.

I have to complete a physiological interview , polygraph test, background check, and medical physical. If all that goes well, I will be starting the police academy at the end of January. In anticipation of hopefully getting the job, I have started doing a lot more cardio in place of all the weight lifting I was doing. Its been rough lol. I suspect that I will be the oldest one there so I don't want to get my butt kicked in the running department.

Anyways, I just wanted to share with you guys, I have read a lot of good info on here and appreciate all of it.

Any tips or advice would be welcome as well.

Not an LEO here. But as a citizen, I greatly appreciate your desire to serve your community.

Wishing you success in the academy and in your new career.

Congratulations!

If your buddies work for the agency you're going to, I'd probably ask to take a look at their academy training manual. Many academy's do periodic inspections of the training manuals and you should ensure yours is well put together and organized. Locate a good tailor and have them ready to do a quick and thorough job when you're issued your actual uniform. Take a look at the options allowed for your duty, backup and off duty guns, what type of security holsters are allowed or issued and what flashlights are allowed or issued. Have at least one duplicate backup flashlight and a smaller pocket model.

Start looking at constitutional law that effects criminal justice, do the same with state and muni statutes. Ask your buddies what items they were required to memorize and get to work on those. Flash cards and audio files that you can play back while daily driving can help. Pull your credit bureau reports for all three reporting agencies and make sure there is no derogatory bogus info pre-background. Get to work making a list of all your prior employers and all your prior residential addresses.

You sound like youve got the PT part of things squared away. Are you a recreational shooter? Know which of the optional guns you shoot best -range rentals can help there.

Good Luck! There are some great firearms trainers and experienced coppers on the forum, seek their counsel ask questions as they arise!
    Last edited by FNFAN; 09-03-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Congratulations!

If your buddies work for the agency you're going to, I'd probably ask to take a look at their academy training manual. Many academy's do periodic inspections of the training manuals and you should ensure yours is well put together and organized. Locate a good tailor and have them ready to do a quick and thorough job when you're issued your actual uniform. Take a look at the options allowed for your duty, backup and off duty guns, what type of security holsters are allowed or issued and what flashlights are allowed or issued. Have at least one duplicate backup flashlight and a smaller pocket model.

Start looking at constitutional law that effects criminal justice, do the same with state and muni statutes. Ask your buddies what items they were required to memorize and get to work on those. Flash cards and audio files that you can play back while daily driving can help. Pull your credit bureau reports for all three reporting agencies and make sure there is no derogatory bogus info pre-background. Get to work making a list of all your prior employers and all your prior residential addresses.

You sound like youve got the PT part of things squared away. Are you a recreational shooter? Know which of the optional guns you shoot best -range rentals can help there.

Good Luck! There are some great firearms trainers and experienced coppers on the forum, seek their counsel ask questions as they arise!
    those are great ideas. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Not an LEO here. But as a citizen, I greatly appreciate your desire to serve your community.

Wishing you success in the academy and in your new career.
    This.

The world needs more people like you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My advice, and it's likely worth even less than you paid for it...

Continue the weight lifting along with your cardio. Don't focus on any one of those to the detriment of the other.

It's also very probable that there will be others older than you at the academy. When I was at our academy, there were a number of guys who just retired from various military branches who were in their late 30's and early 40's.

One thing to remember is that the academy will only give you the basics. It's up to you to continue your education.

Case law is your friend. Find all of it that is applicable to you and learn it.

I could go on, but for the sake of brevity, I won't.

I did my academy first local SO academy at 26. I thought I was in shape. I was running on the treadmill daily. But then running on the street, in formation, kicked my ass. DO NOT rely on the treadmill or elliptical solely for your cardio. On rainy days, or 105 degree days, yes. But go outside and run on the street/track at least 2/3 times per week. Don't be like me and get caught off guard! I went through the FED Academy at 29, and again at 35. Let me tell you, you CAN feel the difference, but it is not going to kill you.

I would find out the gear you will need (Boots/shoes/duty rig/holster) and buy them early. Start to practice your draw stroke with what they require. Also, have your boots and PT shoes broken in before you start. If you don't know how to do so, learn to polish a boot to a mirror shine. My first day at the Academy, they issued uniforms and gear, and told us to have our selves squared away in the morning. First thing the next morning was a uniform inspection. If a lose thread was found, we got smoked. Scuffed boots, we got smoked. Rust on a pistol, we got smoked. You get the ideal. Learn to help everyone check each other out in the parking lot, before you go into the class room building. If you don't know how to use an iron and starch, learn now. If you don't own "shirt stays", go to amazon and buy some (the stirrup type).

You probably already know how to shoot if you are on this forum. But they will have folks in the Academy who may have never shot before. It will be very slow and methodical teaching. There will be lots of dry fire and draw strokes. It will seem VERY basic to you, but it has to be for those who have never shot a gun before. Many who have shot have never worked out of a duty holster before. I would keep your mouth shut that you know what you are doing. Just follow along. Trust me, after two days at the range, I could tell who had their shit squared away, and who we needed to focus our attention on. The one's who were switched on could be spotted without them saying a word. Even if they want you to do something differently than you have in the past, just roll with it for class purposes. (Like sling shotting the slide instead of using the slide catch, folks would argue with us, and would not get that we had lesson plan to follow, and were training to the lowest common denominator. Just do what they ask while you are there, and let your scores do the talking)

Finally, I would advise "don't be that guy". Every class I saw working at our academy had "that guy" in it, the one who was gonna be a problem. It could be the know it all, or the class clown, or the dumb ass, the complainer, or the guy who just has to argue about everything. Don't be that guy. Stay under the radar, and just do as your told. The instructors are ALWAYS watching. And we figure out within about two weeks who is squared away and who is "that guy". Even if you don't get a pat on the head everyday, they notice who is doing the right thing. Them not having to hover over you and constantly watch you is a good thing. Cream will rise to the top as the weeks go by.

Finally, scrub or delete your social media. That shit has burned more guys than you can imagine. You can keep it, but be advised than ANY thing you post can be read aloud in a courtroom without context. I post about my cat, grand kid, and the occasional movie review. I keep politics and work stuff off my wall. Think long term, a post you wrote 6 year ago can burn you 7 years from now.

I wish you well in your future. This is not for everyone. Some days suck ass, other days are a blast. All these years in, I can say "best job I ever had".

Keep us posted.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

I would advise "don't be that guy".

Finally, scrub or delete your social media.
    This is gold.

In the morning get a big cup of shut the fuck up, and top up as necessary. Being a bit older than some, or more mature, will help you not be that guy. Don't befriend that guy, either. He's going to get smoked before the academy ends and you don't want to go with him.

Hopefully your social media isn't all fucked up, but burn it anyway.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This is gold.

In the morning get a big cup of shut the fuck up, and top up as necessary. Being a bit older than some, or more mature, will help you not be that guy. Don't befriend that guy, either. He's going to get smoked before the academy ends and you don't want to go with him.

Hopefully your social media isn't all fucked up, but burn it anyway.
    Now that someone else mentioned social media - forum names like "famous187" aren't always the best bet for an LE career...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Now that someone else mentioned social media - forum names like "famous187" aren't always the best bet for an LE career...
    Tom can fix that, if you ask him to.

User Tag List