Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going through police hiring proccess...

Site Supporter
    The above looks good. I would, from the POV of a PT instructor for two municipal academies, make two mods.

Change up the run. Make a run once a week where you just run for a set period of time (45 min). Try to cover more distance (Gradually!) with each iteration each week. Just doing the 1.5 will only offer so much.

Ditch the curls! add some core strength, shoulder to overhead, or farmer's carry instead. Curls may make you look pretty but the latter three exercises will make you stronger and more injury resistant.

Don't forget to eat (real food), drink (water!), rest.
    Last edited by Jason M; 10-15-2018 at 01:02 AM.

It's been more than 22 years since I went through the academy. As another poster pointed out, things change. So, if you're going to investigate what is going on now, your friends need to be finding that out for you or you need to find a recent grad and pick their brain. After starting the academy, keep your eyes and ears open while doing the opposite with your mouth. Then, evaluate your classmates as to who seems to have their S*$# in one sock and who the clowns are. Start choosing who you will form a study group with, who you want to associate with and who you want to stay away from.

Wait until you actually start the academy to start buying stuff but go ahead and find out from your friends what equipment they needed or have gotten the most use from since they graduated the academy. As you go through the academy, you can start acquiring those items a few at a time and the hit to the wallet isn't near as bad (ask me how I know). The smaller the department is, the more money will come out of your own pocket for uniform items and supplies. The opposite usually happens the larger the department is. An example would be a 30 person department telling you what uniforms and how many you will have to buy, what belt(s) and holster(s) are allowed, what firearms are considered acceptable, all of which will come out of your pocket. Now, if you are going to work for a department that is 2,000 people strong, you will most likely be issued your uniforms, belts, firearm(s), etc. Some things will be universal, though, such as extra pairs of cuffs, a ticket holder, etc.

As another poster let you know, social media is the bane of many a good LEO. One comment taken out of context can ruin an otherwise sterling career. Just as I recommended earlier about keeping the eyes & ears open and mouth shut, keep the fingers off the keyboard when it comes to money, religion or especially politics. Even if you get on a forum like this, always consider how what you are typing may be taken by someone else who has an agenda. Telling everyone why you like or don't like a certain firearm would be okay. Writing that the leadership of a certain city allowing (insert whatever group you want) to go wild shows how big a moron they are may come back to haunt you later.

Lastly, don't wake up ten years from now and realize that the only friends you have are other cops. Having outside interests and friends that have nothing to do with the law-enforcement field will help keep the stress at bay. That stress is the biggest thing that kills us early.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Yesterday I received an official job offer and will be starting the academy in January!

Looking forward to this new challenge and exciting career. At 33 years old and 11 years at my current job I am ready for change and to pursue something that I believe I will truly love to do each day.

Thanks again!

Started the job at age 36, retired now. Good luck and Godspeed

Site Supporter
    Congratulations. You will do well in the academy. I do suggest that you read about fatigue fractures in foot bones. These are common in military recruits and are painful. Perhaps some members can advise ways to reduce this risk.

Congrats, and welcome to the family!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    Thanks again to everyone who replied. Yesterday I received an official job offer and will be starting the academy in January!

Looking forward to this new challenge and exciting career. At 33 years old and 11 years at my current job I am ready for change and to pursue something that I believe I will truly love to do each day.

Thanks again!
    Hell yeah brother! Congratulations!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastreb View Post
    After starting the academy, keep your eyes and ears open while doing the opposite with your mouth.

As another poster let you know, social media is the bane of many a good LEO. One comment taken out of context can ruin an otherwise sterling career. Just as I recommended earlier about keeping the eyes & ears open and mouth shut, keep the fingers off the keyboard when it comes to money, religion or especially politics. Even if you get on a forum like this, always consider how what you are typing may be taken by someone else who has an agenda. Telling everyone why you like or don't like a certain firearm would be okay. Writing that the leadership of a certain city allowing (insert whatever group you want) to go wild shows how big a moron they are may come back to haunt you later.

Lastly, don't wake up ten years from now and realize that the only friends you have are other cops. Having outside interests and friends that have nothing to do with the law-enforcement field will help keep the stress at bay. That stress is the biggest thing that kills us early.
    Bronze, Silver, and Gold right there.

Congratulations!

Eat right and make sure you rest between workouts.....and run, do pushups, and run some more.

The best of luck to you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    something that I believe I will truly love to do each day.
    You won't. Even if you love the career as a whole, there are days that flat out fucking suck. But, welcome aboard and best of luck.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Congratulations!
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List