Thread: Excellent William Petty podcast on vehicle stops

Excellent William Petty podcast on vehicle stops

With the caveat that I never have, and never will engage in a hot stop professionally, I still found this podcast to be fascinating. The underlying premise is that 83 percent of officers killed in the line of duty die during activity in or around vehicles, specifically felony stops, and that it’s a training problem. I found his comparisons of common stop positioning to center fed rooms, as well as corridors, to be very compelling, and his take on all of it seems like nothing less than a clarion call to change the way US LE approach hot stops, nationwide. Again, I’m no LEO, but I found Petty’s thoughts sensible from an academic standpoint, and I heard some parallel takeaways that could be vaulable to anyone who might conceivably face armed opposition while in transition to/from a vehicle.

I’d be interested in opinions from our LEOs here, not being any sort of expert on this stuff, myself. I know we have members who both do this a lot, as well as members who’ve worked with and know Petty personally.

http://firearmsnation.com/william-pe...s-around-cars/
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Listened to it yesterday & today. Will is doing good work that is driven by actual data, info, research, rather than other things that have driven the field's ideas in the past.

His tying cars, parking lots, etc to how we view & treat structures, hallways, rooms is solid.

The pod cast is worth listening to. An AAR on his two day class is here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....CQB-(L-E-only)

I'll have to listen to it today. Thanks.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Listening to it now. Great info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding podcast.

This was full of good information. I passed it on to a coworker/training partner and VCQB is now near the top of my list of classes to attend within the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List