Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Computers

Congrats Rich!

I have been running some sort of Debian Linux distro since 2008, mostly Mint and Kubuntu as I like the kde interface. The oldest machine I played with was a Pentium 166 machine with 8MB, yes ...megabytes. It ran Damn Small Linux and would barely browse the graphic heavy internet but I used it to play mp3s, as a terminal client for and Arduino, and a word processor. Now I have a Raspberry Pi with more power than that thing had, for $35!

99% of the time I use my Linux machine, which is an 8 year old laptop that I paid $150 for about 5 years ago, to browse the web and play music. I use google suite for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. so I don't have to install anything. It did require a memory upgrade for $20 a short time ago when the latest kubuntu release got a bit bigger.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've been using Linux since ~1997. In college I had a contact at my local ISP, so I was able to host there (for free) an old Pentium box I had which ran Red Hat. I used it to run a relatively popular Quake 2 server. In my professional life I've been a sysadmin for almost 2 decades, mostly Linux.

My main desktop is still Windows 10 though, for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    ...meanwhile...

Things are still rolling along with me and Mint.

I wanted a 4” round target to practice some dry draws on. I used LibreOffice Draw 6.0 and loaded an *.odg file I had used before. File loaded fine. I then changed it into a 4” circle, exported the file to a PDF and then printed it on the brother printer. Turned out great.

Really liking this move to Linux!
    I was going to upload my target but the attachment system won't allow .odt

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I know it makes me an IT heathen, but I fucking loathe Vi, even for coding. I'm MUCH happier using Xemacs if I have a GUI, and regular old emacs, or even pico, if I'm editing on the command line.
    I haven't (and wouldn't) used anything other than a nice bloated IDE for coding in over 25 years. I'll use vi or nano for simple scripting, but that's about it.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    I was going to upload my target but the attachment system won't allow .odt
    I’ve been exporting mine to *.pdf when I want to upload them to say the target thread.

Not to turn this into a shooting thread () but I’m always interested in new targets I can print off. What does your target look like?

I took one that was downloadable as a pdf and re-drew it but added spaces for the powder, bullet, etc.
    I tried to zip it but even though the attachments say zip is allowed it doesn't let me upload a zip.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I know it makes me an IT heathen, but I fucking loathe Vi, even for coding. I'm MUCH happier using Xemacs if I have a GUI, and regular old emacs, or even pico, if I'm editing on the command line.
    congrats on being one of the more intelligent, refined members of the community.

I like vi/vim for quickly editing config files but how people use it for coding and editing multiple files is beyond me.

VI is worth learning to some extent, since it's on every 'nix distribution out there.

I never cared much for vi. Interesting to note though a few years ago i worked with one of the original vi developers.

Let me suggest to those folks who are tottering on the edge of "Should I Linux or should I not" that you can live happy lives without ever knowing what VI is. It's a useful advanced tool, but unnecessary for those who want a stable platform to browse from and to compose and print letters and other ordinary functions.

User Tag List