Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Computers

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thoughts on a Mac at the $1k price point?
    I'll put aside the fact that I hate Apple and everything that Apple stands for, so the objective me says: yeah, that's an awesome price for that piece of kit. Apple makes a great product with solid software. Just be prepared to commit to the Apple ecosystem.

MacOS is *nix with a sexy UI built on top of it. I'd recommend playing around with Ubuntu before you invest the cash in a MacBook. But AirBooks are phenomenal systems, as much as the Apple hater in me hates to admit it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I think it's still amazing Apple bothers continuing making traditional operating systems. They're the world king of brand name recognition being the key floating their business.

For $1000 you can have a hell of a machine in any other OS, but it won't have the little Apple logo on it unless you put it on manually.

I am an Apple hater. I think the company is borderline completely useless outside of data mining and vastly overvaluing their near identical phone models. I would much sooner buy a Chromebook for $300 and I'm a big Google hater too.

In fact, fuck most big tech companies. None of them are your friends and none of them deserve automatic loyalty. I use the Microsoft family of products because that's what the real world typically uses, but if Circuit City rises from the grave and makes better a better enterprise package of stuff with decent documentation, and everyone jumps on board with it, I'll switch my network over too.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I have an old XP laptop I’ve been thinking about trying Linux on just for fun. All my work stuff is Apple and sometimes I get the urge to play a little.
    I should get a friend to come over here; she’s a serious Linux geek.

I have a XP desktop that I air-gapped a couple of years ago. Still works for stuff. Only issue I have with changing over is that I have decades’ worth of files in WordPerfect.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I think it's still amazing Apple bothers continuing making traditional operating systems. They're the world king of brand name recognition being the key floating their business.

For $1000 you can have a hell of a machine in any other OS, but it won't have the little Apple logo on it unless you put it on manually.

I am an Apple hater. I think the company is borderline completely useless outside of data mining and vastly overvaluing their near identical phone models. I would much sooner buy a Chromebook for $300 and I'm a big Google hater too.

In fact, fuck most big tech companies. None of them are your friends and none of them deserve automatic loyalty. I use the Microsoft family of products because that's what the real world typically uses, but if Circuit City rises from the grave and makes better a better enterprise package of stuff with decent documentation, and everyone jumps on board with it, I'll switch my network over too.
    Not sure I understand.

So you don’t like Apple?

*ducks and runs*.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    MacOS is *nix with a sexy UI built on top of it. I'd recommend playing around with Ubuntu before you invest the cash in a MacBook. But AirBooks are phenomenal systems, as much as the Apple hater in me hates to admit it.
    I can understand someone buying Mac OS - I do it frequently. It's Unix (let's see if mine prints out the whole word) with a good graphical user interface and Apple support behind it. It works well, it's stable, it's impervious to most Windows bugs for whatever reason, and again, it works well.

As I mentioned in the OP this is my third (or fourth) attempt at seeing if Linux is usable on a daily basis - in the past I didn't think it was, but I do now. I don't fault others for avoiding until now, but as far as I can see now the Mac OS usability has a serious competitor in Linux, at least in a desktop.

Personally, when my current MacBook Pro dies I'll likely move to a Linux laptop (I want the ports Apple and MS have dropped), but I won't expect it to have the battery life of an Apple, and most folks won't want to make that sacrifice, I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I should get a friend to come over here; she’s a serious Linux geek.

I have a XP desktop that I air-gapped a couple of years ago. Still works for stuff. Only issue I have with changing over is that I have decades’ worth of files in WordPerfect.
    You can check the Wine Application Database to see if and how well an application is compatible for running under Wine (ubiquitous Windows emulator for Linux). A quick scan shows several versions of WordPerfect as compatible. I use Wine a good bit.

Though not the case with your older XP machine, with a powerful enough, more modern machine, you can also use something like the aforementioned VirtualBox to run WinXP/Win7 (the whole OS, not just the apps) directly under Linux. This actually works pretty well as long as you're not attempting graphics intensive Windows programs.

There's a bit of a learning curve for Wine and/or VirtualBox (and Linux itself) but really not that bad.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Btw Here’s the alternative:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...?skuId=5465502

I’m pre approved by SWMBO for a new laptop.

I don’t really want another Windoze box because: Gates h8ter, and I always wanted a Mac but couldn’t because:compatible with work.

That's a cool looking little machine. What would be not only the primary use, but anything you'll need to do from time to time? If you just want a portable little system for some documents, email, browsing, and perhaps a little Photoshop from time to time.. it looks cool, but the specs don't show an HDMI output, so you'd need to get a USB-HDMI adapter for Mac if you want to hook up an external monitor at home (and with a 13in screen, you probably will). You'd definitely need external storage unless it'll be a straight email/doc/browsing machine.

I'm with @Peally with the Apple disdain. They're overpriced for what they are. The key factor for Win/Apple is whether you need to run high end commercial applications such as Photoshop or absolutely need the newest MS Office. Linux really can't compete in that arena, though native Linux apps are improving all the time.
    Last edited by critter; 09-02-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    That's a cool looking little machine. What would be not only the primary use, but anything you'll need to do from time to time? If you just want a portable little system for some documents, email, browsing, and perhaps a little Photoshop from time to time.. it looks cool, but the specs don't show an HDMI output, so you'd need to get a USB-HDMI adapter for Mac if you want to hook up an external monitor at home (and with a 13in screen, you probably will). You'd definitely need external storage unless it'll be a straight email/doc/browsing machine.

I'm with @Peally with the Apple disdain. They're overpriced for what they are. The key factor for Win/Apple is whether you need to run high end commercial applications such as Photoshop or absolutely need the newest MS Office. Linux really can't compete in that arena, though native Linux apps are improving all the time.
    Good questions.

Basically:

To do my taxes, annually. To occasionally compose a letter and print it to a networked Brother xerographic printer. To host a few dozen of my favorite films; it would be nice but not required to be able to "cast" a movie direct from Macbook to a network-enabled TV (i.e. Samsung 55" in the living room, 2018 vintage). To surf the 'net, keep an eye on Pistol-Forum, order stuff from Brownell's and Amazon. Web searches. YouTube watching. Run iTunes (or at least host my Music collection, which being a Apple Product I'm assuming is a no brainer.) I probably run 90% of the time on an iPad mini, resorting to the laptop when I need a physical keyboard (like, now)

I have not (ever) used an HDMI output on the Acer. I don't currently have a CD/DVD drive. (I did buy an external). Absent my videos, which I don't actually need online all the time, my 'useful' file space needs are probably less than 100 G. I don't use it to watch movies.. My Acer is about an 11" screen. The keyboard is an abomination; it is quite possibly the worst computer keyboard I've ever used. Keys are clacky and bouncy; their is next to no tactile feedback. The layout of the 'highlight all' and 'delete' functions are oriented such that over the last few years, many of my better web postings have literally disappeared in the blink of an eye. I only bought it because (at the time) I was a penniless retiree.

**Forgot one: I would like it if the Macbook had Bluetooth to connect to an external speaker. My Acer "has" no Bluetooth capability, at all.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-02-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Good questions.

Basically:

To do my taxes, annually. To occasionally compose a letter and print it to a networked Brother xerographic printer. To host a few dozen of my favorite films; it would be nice but not required to be able to "cast" a movie direct from Macbook to a network-enabled TV (i.e. Samsung 55" in the living room, 2018 vintage). To surf the 'net, keep an eye on Pistol-Forum, order stuff from Brownell's and Amazon. Web searches. YouTube watching. Run iTunes (or at least host my Music collection, which being a Apple Product I'm assuming is a no brainer.) I probably run 90% of the time on an iPad mini, resorting to the laptop when I need a physical keyboard (like, now)

I have not (ever) used an HDMI output on the Acer. I don't currently have a CD/DVD drive. (I did buy an external). Absent my videos, which I don't actually need online all the time, my 'useful' file space needs are probably less than 100 G. I don't use it to watch movies.. My Acer is about an 11" screen. The keyboard is an abomination; it is quite possibly the worst computer keyboard I've ever used. Keys are clacky and bouncy; their is next to no tactile feedback. The layout of the 'highlight all' and 'delete' functions are oriented such that over the last few years, many of my better web postings have literally disappeared in the blink of an eye. I only bought it because (at the time) I was a penniless retiree.

**Forgot one: I would like it if the Macbook had Bluetooth to connect to an external speaker. My Acer "has" no Bluetooth capability, at all.
    The bold part may eliminate Linux (and possibly Mac) full stop. Printers require drivers for the OS, and though there have been vast improvements in the built-in drivers, printer compatibility is one of the niggles of Linux and to a lesser extent, Macs. Check the Brother website to see whether they offer proprietary Mac or Linux drivers for your exact model. The generic built-in Linux drivers are hit or miss as to whether the printer will work.

This particular model doesn't list Bluetooth in the spec list. So it looks like you'd have to get a Mac compatible USB Bluetooth dongle.

Quote Originally Posted by spec list
    Dual-core Intel Core i5 processor

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Fast SSD storage

8GB memory

Two USB 3 ports

Thunderbolt 2 port

SDXC port

Up to 12 hours of battery life*

802.11ac Wi-Fi

Multi-Touch trackpad

*Battery life varies by use and configuration.
    Last edited by critter; 09-02-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Looks as if you're in luck, most likely. LibreOffice Writer should be able to open Word Perfect files one by one and save in LO format. You'll almost certainly get a new change date but I don't know if the creation date will make it through the transition; you'll have to check.

For 10 years worth of files I've been told the Linux "unoconv" command line command will convert them in bulk. Again, you'll be able to test that on copies to ensure you don't lose anything. (Search for "Linux unoconv man" for all the switches and options.) Join a forum for the brand Linux you choose and ask for some help; most likely they'll provide a cut and paste command for you, or your friend can help.

User Tag List