Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Computers

For testing and playing around with Linux Distros, VirtualBox allows you to 'install' them under Windows (you need a newer PC for this... at least 8g ram, 4 core processor to function halfway decently because you'll assign the amount of ram and number of cores to use during each image install) directly from the downloaded image without creating a USB drive. VB has its limits, but you can dink around with the various OS's, and delete 'em whenever you want. You can have as many different ones installed as you have the disk space to accommodate.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Those of you looking to stretch the lifespan of old hardware should look at Xubuntu or another XFCE based desktop.

Fewer whizbang animations, quite light and fast, very secure.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

One good thing is if you have a distro you like (I've used several over the years), then you can load multiple desktops to see what runs best for you. There are features I like about several of them, but the last few years my computer needs/time has meant mostly inexpensive, lower end machines for basic tasks (viewing sites like this, youtube, email, ordering parts).

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    After the update system boned the SO's Windows 10 install for either the fifth or sixth time, I gave up and installed Ubuntu, just so she would have a working computer. She's not the most technical person in the world, but she's had zero issues, and I'm routinely impressed by how easy it is to get peripherals up and running.

If I didn't rely so much on MS productivity stuff, I'd switch all my systems over.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Ok. My laptop is an Acer Aspire One 722-0828, made 12/15.

I have 4 Gb RAM and the clock base speed looks like 1.0 GHz. Sitting idle CPU goes from 20% to 50%. Memory about 2 G.

Its running the free W10 upgrade but it came w W7. It has a 480 G hard drive about 2/3 full of video, pictures, tax returns, etc.

What Linux distro and upgrade path would you guys suggest?

I’m going to go look at big Tb drives and/or some good sized USB sticks.

Guess another option is to chuck it and buy a MacBook Air.

TIA.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-02-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    It has a 480 G hard drive about 2/3 full of video, pictures, tax returns, etc.
    Something to consider: Dropbox has 1 TB available for $105.53 a year (taxes included). If you're going to experiment with different OSs, it's easily worth the money to make sure nothing important gets lost. The service isn't perfect, but I've been using it for years, and am satisfied with the purchase.

With regards to which Linux distro: I'm not an evangelist and I only dabble in *nix occasionally, but I'd start with Ubuntu. If that doesn't work for you, I'm sure you can dial-in your requirements with something more specific later.
    Last edited by Chance; 09-02-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

If you don't give a crap about using Windows (unlike me who thinks Linux is used for low profile servers and not a user OS) then it's a pretty good free option instead of buying a Chromebook or something. I need mah games and work compatibility though. That and I hate working on computers when I'm not at work and installing an OS is no fun when I could be doing almost anything else #bitterITguy

I've gotten extra years out of old laptops running Ubuntu though so it can be worth it.
    Last edited by Peally; 09-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Something to consider: Dropbox has 1 TB available for $105.53 a year (taxes included). If you're going to experiment with different OSs, it's easily worth the money to make sure nothing important gets lost. The service isn't perfect, but I've been using it for years, and am satisfied with the purchase.

With regards to which Linux distro: I'm not an evangelist and I only dabble in *nix occasionally, but I'd start with Ubuntu. If that doesn't work for you, I'm sure you can dial-in your requirements with something more specific later.
    Isn't Dropbox ending support for Linux file system, Ext4 soon?

Personally, I have external hard drives that I cycle between the house and the safety deposit box. I prefer not to trust "the cloud," which another way of saying "somebody else's computer."

Btw Here’s the alternative:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...?skuId=5465502

I’m pre approved by SWMBO for a new laptop.

I don’t really want another Windoze box because: Gates h8ter, and I always wanted a Mac but couldn’t because:compatible with work.

Thoughts on a Mac at the $1k price point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Isn't Dropbox ending support for Linux file system, Ext4 soon?

Personally, I have external hard drives that I cycle between the house and the safety deposit box. I prefer not to trust "the cloud," which another way of saying "somebody else's computer."
    I'm not up on the latest news, but a quick trip to Google gave me this: Dropbox To End Sync Support For All Filesystems Except Ext4 on Linux.

I agree completely with the "not my computer" concern. But everyone's threat model is different. For me, losing, or otherwise not being able to get access to my data, is the greater concern. Dropbox is great for redundancy, but with regards to security... I wouldn't advocate it.

User Tag List