Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Linux Computers

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Currently using FF.
    Mitchell Baker appears to have completely lost their mind, so I'd fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Not that I can control anything, but at least for me, I would really prefer that this very useful thread not turn political. JMO, no offense and all that.

Not that I can control anything, but at least for me, I would really prefer that this very useful thread not turn political. JMO, no offense and all that.
    Not my intent at all. For me, with that leadership, FF is no longer a viable option for anything that would motivate a move to linux. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Several very smart friends use Brave and really like its speed and security.
    Thanks @SeriousStudent; I just installed it on my Linux Dell e6530, following the script/commands from the link. Seems fairly easy to use so far.

PS see you in Dallas in March. My better half is coming to keep an eye on me.

Anyone have any experience with the Brave Browser and Linux? It is supposed to support Debian 9+, Ubuntu 14.04+ and Linux Mint 17+:

https://brave.com/linux/

Currently using FF.
    I used Brave on MacBook before Firefox began support Yubikey. I thought I'd done that on Ubuntu, but not. Is there a reason to use Brave when Chromium is available without having to unpack it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Is there a reason to use Brave when Chromium is available without having to unpack it?
    I'm not sure what that means?

The install for Brave here on my Linux box took maybe 90 seconds. I'm using it to type this post.

I'm not sure what that means?

The install for Brave here on my Linux box took maybe 90 seconds. I'm using it to type this post.
    Okay, right, that was a little abbreviated. Starting again: I don't trust Chrome at all - too much browser calling the Google mother ship. I trust Chromium more, but it's hard to install directly on MacOS (needed compiling - what I meant by "unpacking"), so I used MacOS/Brave instead in order use my Yubikey. (MacOS/Firefox now supports Yubikey so I don't use Brave any longer.) On Linux, however, Chromium is readily available, so I wondered why you'd use Brave instead of Chromium.

Thanks @SeriousStudent; I just installed it on my Linux Dell e6530, following the script/commands from the link. Seems fairly easy to use so far.

PS see you in Dallas in March. My better half is coming to keep an eye on me.
    And we'll all have to go get some BBQ and enjoy a tasty beverage.

Some other options:

ungoogled-chromium
    This is the code repository for this browser, so no pretty website or UI for those that expect that experience. Based on Chromium, which is the open source version Google Chrome is built on.

Dissenter
    Built on Brave, but with the Brave advertising and Google tracking stuff removed. I only just installed it, because I'm always experimenting with browsers, trying to find "the perfect one" (doesn't exist, but it's fun to look!). Seems decent so far. Ultimately Brave is built on Chromium, which is the open source base Google Chrome is built on.

Nyxt
    For the nerds and programmers in the audience, here's something fun. May not be your "daily driver" browser, but something cool for the future. It's a programmable browser, written in the world's second oldest programming language, LISP. It's still in "pre-release" phase, so there may be rough issues here and there. I've only played with it a little bit, so I don't have much to say on it yet other than I love the concept of the level of control given to people that are "power users" and like to customize everything.

One thing that should stand out from everyone's recommendations is the level of monopoly at play in the browser market.

Browser Market Share
    Chrome 63.38%
    Safari 19.25%
    Firefox 3.77%
    Samsung 3.47%
    Edge 3.08%
    Opera 2.26%
    Stats via StatCounter, December 2020

Name:  StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-201912-202012.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  34.9 KB
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I use Brave on mobile and FF on Linux.

I use U-Block Origin and FB Container for privacy; they seem to provide a decent balance between successful ad blocking and functionality. I've considered trying Brave on desktop but weird browsers always have weird pain points. For example it appears to be incompatible with my password manager.

User Tag List