Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Linux Computers

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    RJ,

Is a "disk image" what you're looking for? I forget which distro you're using, but I would think it has a favorite. Using Raspian on my Raspberry Pi I use " dd ". ( See dd man page.) It's restorable, and I've done that several times with " tar " and " gzip". The only problem is that's it's not configured to be an automatic, daily backup of any incremental changes since the last one.

Deja Dup (I think) is the standard backup utility for Ubuntu and would likely work on other Debian-based distros. I don't know whether you get more than the home folder.

Maybe a combination of the two approaches?

OTOH, my 16-year-old Dell Pentium II was still running when I recycled it because I had a a newer box and no room for multiple desktops.

Let us know what you decide.
    Yeah, basically conceptually I would like to backup "whatever I need" to move "my" current Linux Mint Tara distribution (and all the applications I've added) to a backup. I'll take a look at Deja Dup. Am familiar with rsync, tar, and gzip, and the basics of cron jobs etc.

Thanks for the lead! If I get this worked out I will post back.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah, basically conceptually I would like to backup "whatever I need" to move "my" current Linux Mint Tara distribution (and all the applications I've added) to a backup. I'll take a look at Deja Dup. Am familiar with rsync, tar, and gzip, and the basics of cron jobs etc.

Thanks for the lead! If I get this worked out I will post back.
    So that was pretty painless. I installed Deja-dup; it comes up as "backups" in the menus. I have a daily, destination set to to my 2T USB drive with everything in $home, which includes everything I was backing up daily using luckybackup. Right at the moment it is indexing the drive source for first time backup, so I suspect it may run the rest of the day. I opted to not backp my "videos" directory. But otherwise, it looks like Deja-dup is a good option. Thanks again @perslacker.

In other news, my laptop was running a little hot, so I elevated it on four old discarded plastic furniture feet, and then bought a small USB powered 1:4 hub and an AC Infinity 80mm USB fan, things cooled off nicely with it underneath everything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here it is pulled out slightly, normally it sits directly under the laptop CPU air intake port, dead center. It is a nice little fan, very very quiet.

Name:  IMG_7174.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  85.3 KB

This is the 4 way USB hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stickied it onto the laptop case, with the 2.5/5Ghz WiFi Dongle/antenna, to get a bit more gain:

Name:  IMG_7175.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  45.8 KB

Just a bump to say how much I hate Windoze.

I brought up an older Acer dual-boot box to play with some backup / restore options. I started Windows and wanted to delete a bunch of files just prior to repartitioning the hard disk with gparted to make the Linux partition as large as possible. Intent is to make sure I can restore my Linux files in the event my Dell e6530 croaks.

I’m still at it two hours later. Argh.

Just a bump to say how much I hate Windoze.

I brought up an older Acer dual-boot box to play with some backup / restore options. I started Windows and wanted to delete a bunch of files just prior to repartitioning the hard disk with gparted to make the Linux partition as large as possible. Intent is to make sure I can restore my Linux files in the event my Dell e6530 croaks.

I’m still at it two hours later. Argh.
    Hell with it, I decided to go ahead and blow away the windoze partition and install Linux on that Acer box. Current release is Mint 20 'Ulyana'. I created an iso for the install on a spare 8Gb USB drive, then did the complete install this morning. Took a little longer start to finish than Mint 18; the install was 30 min and the system updates about the same. Might have been the slower CPU of the Acer, it's an older 2012 Aspire One with low mileage. Orlginally a Windows 7 box lol. Still, it has a 480 Gb drive (which I might replace with an SSD down the road), much smaller than the Dell e6530 luggable, has a battery that's not shot, and so far at least has no history of thermal issues.

I did have a couple more "system shut down due to heat" messages on the e6530. Sooooo...I think I'll migrate to the Acer for now, on my time, as opposed to doing it in an emergency. I run a backup using Luckybackup, daily, onto my 2T Seagate, so it won't be much of a chore to replicate my eco-system (only 220Gb) from the backup drive over to the Acer. The Acer also only has a low speed 2G WiFi, but I don't need that much speed, and I can move my 5G antenna/dongle over and install the driver if I decide I need the speed. But to be honest this is just my "fiddling around with pistol-forum" computer at my desk, so the smaller foot print is desirable. Plus now my corner of the apt will not heat up so much since the dang 4-cpu Dell puts out heat like a furnace.

Name:  IMG_7898.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  76.3 KB

Hell with it, I decided to go ahead and blow away the windoze partition and install Linux on that Acer box. Current release is Mint 20 'Ulyana'. I created an iso for the install on a spare 8Gb USB drive, then did the complete install this morning. Took a little longer start to finish than Mint 18; the install was 30 min and the system updates about the same. Might have been the slower CPU of the Acer, it's an older 2012 Aspire One with low mileage. Orlginally a Windows 7 box lol. Still, it has a 480 Gb drive (which I might replace with an SSD down the road), much smaller than the Dell e6530 luggable, has a battery that's not shot, and so far at least has no history of thermal issues.

I did have a couple more "system shut down due to heat" messages on the e6530. Sooooo...I think I'll migrate to the Acer for now, on my time, as opposed to doing it in an emergency. I run a backup using Luckybackup, daily, onto my 2T Seagate, so it won't be much of a chore to replicate my eco-system (only 220Gb) from the backup drive over to the Acer. The Acer also only has a low speed 2G WiFi, but I don't need that much speed, and I can move my 5G antenna/dongle over and install the driver if I decide I need the speed. But to be honest this is just my "fiddling around with pistol-forum" computer at my desk, so the smaller foot print is desirable. Plus now my corner of the apt will not heat up so much since the dang 4-cpu Dell puts out heat like a furnace.

I'm running the Ubuntu distro I mentioned up top. It turns out Ubuntu has extended the 18.04 LTS the long-term five years to a longer period because that version exists in so many Internet of Things devices. The next LTS version uses a basically proprietary sand-boxing for adding new apps, so for now I'm happy with 18.04.

Check your fan/heat sink for lint (blow it out), and consider reapplying fresh heat sink paste on tne CPU . . . a lof of the OEM stuff gets dry with age, and those type of heat problems begin. Easy fix if you are used to working inside it . . .

Ok I switched back to the e6530; quad CPU beats the 9 year old chip that Acer put in their boxes...It was either that or I slit my wrists. Dang but the Acer was slow, even running Linux.

I found a good Temperature Monitor app from the Linux repository; running it in background on the e6530. It runs a 20 minute real time history of selectable transducers in the CPU, GPU, DIMM array etc. Pretty neat. I've got a nice quiet USB fan under the CPU air intake, hopefully it will now be more stable.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-11-21 08-55-03.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  54.4 KB

Anyone have any experience with the Brave Browser and Linux? It is supposed to support Debian 9+, Ubuntu 14.04+ and Linux Mint 17+:

https://brave.com/linux/

Currently using FF.

Several very smart friends use Brave and really like its speed and security.

Anyone have any experience with the Brave Browser and Linux? It is supposed to support Debian 9+, Ubuntu 14.04+ and Linux Mint 17+:

https://brave.com/linux/

Currently using FF.
    My go-to is Brave on a Ubuntu derivative. I've been using this for several months and as far as I can tell, it's seamless.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

User Tag List