Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Computers

Can someone point me to the right tool or app to repartition my hard disk?

I'm becoming pretty comfortable with Cinammon Mint after a few weeks and went back briefly to the Windoze side and deleted about 100G of extraneous data I didn't need.

So now I would like to keep both partitions on the disk, but make the windoze one 100G smaller and the Linux one 100G bigger.

?

I'll go look at the tools and do some searches but if anyone can shortcut my search, I'd appreciate it.

Thankx.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Can someone point me to the right tool or app to repartition my hard disk?

I'm becoming pretty comfortable with Cinammon Mint after a few weeks and went back briefly to the Windoze side and deleted about 100G of extraneous data I didn't need.

So now I would like to keep both partitions on the disk, but make the windoze one 100G smaller and the Linux one 100G bigger.

?

I'll go look at the tools and do some searches but if anyone can shortcut my search, I'd appreciate it.

Thankx.
    gparted should handle modifying your partition table & resizing the filesystems. Resizing filesystems is pretty safe these days (even NTFS) but I'd still back everything up. And do it from a live CD.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    gparted should handle modifying your partition table & resizing the filesystems. Resizing filesystems is pretty safe these days (even NTFS) but I'd still back everything up. And do it from a live CD.
    Took a bit but I got a bootable USB setup with gparted. That part works fine.

Problem is I can’t figure out how to recover the space?

I have four partitions; let’s call them B1, W1, FS and LC, left to right across this 400 G Drive I have.

B1 is a small bootable area that seems to be related to my Acer being dual boot now.

W1 is my Windoze 10 partition.

FS is the 100 G or so of free space.

LC is my Linux Cinnamon partition.

How do I get rid of FS, and use that space to increase LC, but keep W1?

Took a bit but I got a bootable USB setup with gparted. That part works fine.

Problem is I can’t figure out how to recover the space?

I have four partitions; let’s call them B1, W1, FS and LC, left to right across this 400 G Drive I have.

B1 is a small bootable area that seems to be related to my Acer being dual boot now.

W1 is my Windoze 10 partition.

FS is the 100 G or so of free space.

LC is my Linux Cinnamon partition.

How do I get rid of FS, and use that space to increase LC, but keep W1?
    You should be able to move the start of LC to the start of FS. I Googled this up real quick, might help you: https://superuser.com/questions/4896...-end-of-a-disk

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    You should be able to move the start of LC to the start of FS. I Googled this up real quick, might help you: https://superuser.com/questions/4896...-end-of-a-disk
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

Still really really really liking Linux Cinnamon.

They are having an IT Fire Sale at work to get rid of some excess old stock Dell laptops. I put a bid in on one. They don't come with software, but if I win one, I plan to install Cinnamon for sure. It's doing pretty much everything I wanted.

Only challenge I see so far is I don't know if there is an H&R Block app for Linux. I will look at see if there is a freeware Penguin-friendly app I can download that will load my file from last year. Or I'll use an online one; my situation is not that complex.

Thanks again all for the advice and help. Really appreciate it.

@perlslacker Well I am not 100% sure what I did but I have 192Gb free now in the LC partition. I think it related to the expanded partition. Once I figured out that /dev/sd4 (I think) was moveable/resizable I clicked and then dragged the edges to grab all the unallocated space, then hit apply.

An hour or so later it was done; rebooted into the normal Cinammon OS and all was as before, but with a lot more space.

Thanks again.

@perlslacker Well I am not 100% sure what I did but I have 192Gb free now in the LC partition. I think it related to the expanded partition. Once I figured out that /dev/sd4 (I think) was moveable/resizable I clicked and then dragged the edges to grab all the unallocated space, then hit apply.

An hour or so later it was done; rebooted into the normal Cinammon OS and all was as before, but with a lot more space.

Thanks again.
    no worries.

if you have trouble in the future, you may want to make an account on a Linux-specific forum rather than a gun forum . You'll probably get better (and faster) replies. The Linux user community is a lot friendlier than it used to be back in the mailing list days.

Well now. It seems my work had an auction of used laptops so on a whim I entered for one. Turns out I won a bid on a Dell E6520 for $100.

It has no software, just the processor and memory. Not sure what size HDD but these are typically used in the field by engineers like me. It may not be the latest and greatest but I am sure it's faster than my current Acer Apsire. Besides raw cpu speed and memory, the other thing I want to address on the Acer is the WiFi card; the Acer does not seem to have the radio to connect to the 5G side of my router; which for download/general use is a bit of a pain.

Should have the Dell in my house sometime next week; plan is to take my existing bootable USB and whack Linux Cinnamon on it. Will see how it goes.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-02-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Well now. It seems my work had an auction of used laptops so on a whim I entered for one. Turns out I won a bid on a Dell E6520 for $100.

It has no software, just the processor and memory. Not sure what size HDD but these are typically used in the field by engineers like me. It may not be the latest and greatest but I am sure it's faster than my current Acer Apsire. Besides raw cpu speed and memory, the other thing I want to address on the Acer is the WiFi card; the Acer does not seem to have the radio to connect to the 5G side of my router; which for download/general use is a bit of a pain.

Should have the Dell in my house sometime next week; plan is to take my existing bootable USB and whack Linux Cinnamon on it. Will see how it goes.
    Did you get this done? As I understand it, Linux can be a little picky about WiFi cards. If it doesn't work you may need to replace it with one that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Did you get this done? As I understand it, Linux can be a little picky about WiFi cards.
    That used to be true. I don't believe it is any longer.

User Tag List