Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ghost lettering and/or minimally marked vehicles for traffic stops

Site Supporter
    As Pat Rogers always said, "Policing is regional".

It is only recently, through my participation in some of the good Internet forums populated by intellectuals such as you all, that I have come to realize the significant differences in law and procedure and custom from one state to another.

Around here (Wisconsin) unmarked cars have been common since before I started driving (which was 1975).

We get the occasional incident involving a police impersonator but I get the sense that such incidents are more frequent in other parts of the country

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I drive a fully marked black and white Chevy Tahoe with a light bar on top and very visible deck lights on the rear deck. I constantly have people pass me doing 80+ on the freeway. And if I’m on the freeway I’m doing 5-10 over the limit. Do they not see me (usually) or do they think city cop can’t or won’t pull them over.

You’ve unlocked an achievement because you got a K9 guy to do traffic enforcement.
    As a fellow Arizonan who detests driving the Phoenix freeways, I support this message.

How does the whole permit thing work relative to roads where the speed limit changes in areas? Noted by mile markers or something?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    How does the whole permit thing work relative to roads where the speed limit changes in areas? Noted by mile markers or something?

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    As a profession, I build police vehicles for a living. I've done so since 1997. Witnessed the swap from rotators, to halogen to LED's, to now the 4th gen LED's.

Recently, the ghosting of the lettering is becoming very popular, well at least here in NH. NHSP and a few others have 'ghost vehicles' that mostly patrol highway and interstates.

A lot of it is black vehicles, with retro reflective black lettering and emblems.

Y'all be safe out there.
    Non LE here.

I saw one of the black ones last week while in NH on business. I thought it was an SRT the way he took off up the ramp. Half a mile later he turns into a crossover and I note the markings. He did not activate the lights when he turned in, but I can imagine it’s pretty noticeable. Sitting in the grass median it was actually more noticeable than the traditional forest green and beige trooper vehicles.

The ‘Black and white” theme is applied with various degrees of execution around the country.

I prefer them conspicuous for all the reasons outlined here.

Site Supporter
    It seems that so-called speed traps are not as prevalent as they once were. When I lived in Alabama, one town became notorious for these. The governor put up large billboards on the main road going through there. In the past when traveling between Texas and Mississippi, I would use a radar detector even though I did not exceed speed limits. This habit showed my cautious nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Non LE here.

I saw one of the black ones last week while in NH on business. I thought it was an SRT the way he took off up the ramp. Half a mile later he turns into a crossover and I note the markings. He did not activate the lights when he turned in, but I can imagine it’s pretty noticeable. Sitting in the grass median it was actually more noticeable than the traditional forest green and beige trooper vehicles.

The ‘Black and white” theme is applied with various degrees of execution around the country.

I prefer them conspicuous for all the reasons outlined here.
    The beige is actually 'military pink'.
    And those phukkahs hide so well against the woodland in NH.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List