Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P30 accuracy issues?

I think everyone likes ole hickok. One of my favorites on YouTube.
    Last edited by fuse; 02-26-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I think everyone likes ole hickok. One of my favorites on YouTube.
    Hell yeah, I want to be like him when I get old. Perfect Grandpa

edit: back on topic, P30 is accurate as any

I would second the thought that it is the shooter and not the gun. How do I know? Because I cannot shoot my wife's P30 and get anything that resembles groups while she can use ammo from the same lot and get three-inch groups at twenty-five yards. She likes the long LEM trigger as it is similar to the revolvers she shoots, and I prefer the short Glock trigger.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I would second the thought that it is the shooter and not the gun. How do I know? Because I cannot shoot my wife's P30 and get anything that resembles groups while she can use ammo from the same lot and get three-inch groups at twenty-five yards. She likes the long LEM trigger as it is similar to the revolvers she shoots, and I prefer the short Glock trigger.
    How you approach the trigger makes a world of difference. When I learned to use the LEM trigger with a true rolling break (not merely what I thought a rolling break was) my ability to shoot it accurately went up dramatically. I was at the range with another member of our forum some months ago and for giggles I set up one of Todd's 2" circle targets at 25 yards. I aimed at one of the circles and slow-fired the best 5 shots I could using my rolling break epiphany.

All 5 landed within the 2" circle.

The longest shot I've made is hitting a 12" piece of steel at somewhere over 130 yards. I say "somewhere" because it was during a walkback drill in a class and we had left the range and were actually shooting from the parking lot at that point.

I've knocked down 8" steel plates at 100 yards with the pistol.

When I miss, it's always attributable to either not paying close enough attention to the orientation of the sights (I tend to align the front sight high for whatever reason) or because I try to slam through the trigger pull rather than rolling through it and I anticipate.

My epiphany on what a rolling break was came from shooting a double-action revolver. A friend wanted me to check out a beautiful old model 10 he had just bought and I loaded up 6 158 grain lead SWCs, lined up the old school sights I couldn't make out very well on the dark indoor range, and then without really thinking about it just applied a nice smooth constant trigger pull. And managed to fire one of the best groups I'd ever fired through a handgun. When I saw the target the hamster wheel started turning and eventually the 3 watt bulb went on over my head and I finally figured out "Oh, so THAT's how you shoot a long trigger!"

As with weight lifting or driving on a track, it's very easy to think you're doing everything right with a pistol in your hand when you're actually not.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 02-29-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Quick update: I got out to the range today. I'd been spending a decent amount of time dry firing since the last range trip, paying extra attention to how my finger placement affecting the pull. I also took the suggestion to stay in 2 - 3 yards. Out of 15 round mags, I'd have 1 - 2 rounds outside a 3" circle, and nearly every time I knew it was a bad shot as soon as it happened. I slowed the pace down a bit to just focus on the trigger. I did 6 mags at 2 - 3 yards, and another 3 at 7 yards, and the groups stayed very good.

So, as folks said, this was software, not hardware, thanks!

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

I'm glad that it's working out better for you. Keep dry firing, it is the best thing for trigger issues - especially for newer shooters - and it's free

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    How you approach the trigger makes a world of difference. When I learned to use the LEM trigger with a true rolling break (not merely what I thought a rolling break was) my ability to shoot it accurately went up dramatically.
    As someone who is learning how to approach triggers in general, let alone the LEM trigger, I think this concept of the rolling break is starting to sink in.

OP--I was/am in the exact same boat as you, having difficulty with a LEM pistol even though I seemed to shoot other pistols better. I too, thought there might be an issue with my pistol's accuracy. Now it's becoming more and more apparent where the problems are coming from!

I did have a bit of a breakthrough myself this past weekend. I was doing my typical low shooting 5" groups at 3 yards when I decided to let up my gorilla grip a bit and focus on a consistent, smooth, constant trigger pull. Right away the first shot was centered right in my POA. The next few mags, though I still struggled with consistency, when I could get a smooth rolling pull I got nice tight groups. I'm really going to work on this--the first few hundred rounds I owned the pistol I was staging the trigger. This new approach is making a difference.

I do wish I could find some training from someone who specifically has good LEM experience, but either way, I will be working hard on that rolling break.

Thanks for the great thread.

User Tag List