Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm. What’s the best?

I own a Springfield Range officer champion[commander] in 9mm. While I didn't have the cash for one of the big boys at the time, [sure wish I did] I purchased the RO after doing my research. There were positive and negative comments on it, but the positive far outnumbered the negative.

It's parkerized, with a fiber front and a Novak style rear, with 2 white dots. They were blackened with a paint pen.
    I surely don't have alot of mileage on it, but it's at 1500 rounds with only 3 stoppages, that were related to ammunition, not the weapon. [non firing primers]

I'd sure love to get a Wilson or Les...

Name:  Springfield Armory Range Officer.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  101.0 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Long time lurker here...

I just acquired a Colt Wiley Clapp 9mm Commander secondhand. I’ve had it just over 2 weeks and put around 300rds through it. It’s all I want to shoot at the range now. My g19s have taken a back seat. I’d love to be able to purchase a Wilson, but the Colt had everything I wanted in a 9mm 1911 (LW frame, front strap checkerimg)outside of tritium sights. I’d highly recommend one for a middle of the road option.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post

I'd sure love to get a Wilson or Les...
    I'm an unabashed Les Baer fan, but I would not buy one of his 9mm or Commander (Commanche) offerings. Neither are his thing. Les Baer 1911's are best served in Govt 45.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    What’s your budget?
    Exactly... it's wise to define how much you want to spend in order to find the 'best' within that price point.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

I really like my Dan Wesson in 9MM and likely will pick up another in the future when funds allow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

A properly built 9mm will run and run. This one has 6,727 rounds through it. All original springs, never cleaned, has had 3 stoppages due to junky ammo, and one where I apparently hit the slide stop before the mag was seated.
    Spending >$3000 on a pistol would give me anxiety. I think I would have to clean it if for no other reason than to spend time with it. I can't imagine treating it like a Glock but I think you have proven they can be reliable and durable and not as fragile as some one believe. Looks like you enjoy your investment.

Vending Machine Operator
    If money wasn't an object, Wilson Combat. There really is no contest when it comes to 9mm 1911s. Theirs are the best and I haven't seen any compelling evidence otherwise.

Realistically, Dan Wesson is also very solid and a lot cheaper. But if you're wanting one for the rest of your life that will work very well, it's Wilson.

Fun fact, a full-featured Wilson full-size build is my all-time, permanent grail gun, paid for in cash. If I make it there in my life, I will know I have succeeded.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    If you want something really special go to the site link at the bottom of post #24 and then submit an order.

I agree with what has been said above about Wilson Combat -- if I was going to buy one of their guns it would probably be the Commander length instead of one of their 4" guns.

Dan Wesson hits a sweet spot as far as quality and value.

On the other hand, I've owned several Colt 9mm guns and generally they've been great. The Wiley Clapp models (also mentioned above) are pretty nice for the money.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    If you want something really special go to the site link at the bottom of post #24 and then submit an order.
    Holy mackerel, not sure how I hadn't heard of Heirloom Precision before. A few follow-up googles and dang, that is some really amazing work.

Stop adding future expenses to my wallet please.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    You should really get in touch with Jerry Hammond and/or George Talia before you buy something. In stock Wilsons command a premium due to avoiding the wait. They have much better pricing than most anywhere else.

A properly built 9mm will run and run. This one has 6,727 rounds through it. All original springs, never cleaned, has had 3 stoppages due to junky ammo, and one where I apparently hit the slide stop before the mag was seated.

Eww... gross. I love it.

User Tag List