Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm. What’s the best?

To OP’s original question, I spent the balance of 18 months testing 1911s in 9mm, and the results were interesting. These were all off the shelf models, usually priced around or under $1,000, since apparently my readers are fucking poors.

The best of the bunch was the Dan Wesson Commander in 9mm, and I regret having to send that gun back to Dan Wesson every single day.

The most surprising was a Rock Island Armory 9mm, that at final tally was over 5,000 rounds without a single failure of any type. That was a really good gun, and I used it as my main USPSA gun for a couple of years.

The worst was a Springfield Armory Range Officer which was just a hunk of garbage. It was worse than the Taurus PT1911 9mm that I tested.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm starting to think that firearms manufacturing is inconsistent enough that a sample of n=1 will often lead to non-generalizable conclusions.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm starting to think that firearms manufacturing is inconsistent enough that a sample of n=1 will often lead to non-generalizable conclusions.
    I had a 9mm Kimber that ran for 1500 rounds without an issue, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    To OP’s original question, I spent the balance of 18 months testing 1911s in 9mm, and the results were interesting. These were all off the shelf models, usually priced around or under $1,000, since apparently my readers are fucking poors.

The best of the bunch was the Dan Wesson Commander in 9mm, and I regret having to send that gun back to Dan Wesson every single day.

The most surprising was a Rock Island Armory 9mm, that at final tally was over 5,000 rounds without a single failure of any type. That was a really good gun, and I used it as my main USPSA gun for a couple of years.

The worst was a Springfield Armory Range Officer which was just a hunk of garbage. It was worse than the Taurus PT1911 9mm that I tested.
    I followed your tests and enjoyed them. If you ever decide to test another one please consider the Rugers.

Site Supporter
    I have a Springfield Armory 1911 5inch Range Officer 9mm that has been very, very good. Sample size of one, etc. I also have good luck with Brownells brand 9mm 1911 mags - had one that would not lock slide back and Brownells sent me a replacement and said keep the "bad" one.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I also have good luck with Brownells brand 9mm 1911 mags.
    My two pistols are Rugers and they do not drop free in my guns (the Wilsons do). I attribute this to probably just a little variation in the mag well dimensions, probably a Ruger thing and not a Brownells thing. I will have to confirm how many I have, PM me if you want to make a deal on them...

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

I’ve watched most of your videos, they were very informative and helpful, the one about the Valkyrie had me looking pretty hard at that one. The extra round and to bobtail grip was mainly the deciding factor and if I remember, GB didn’t have any I could find that would satisfy my impulse buy two weeks ago. Lol

I mentioned in my op, I have resisted the 1911’s for a variety of reason, more of the obvious ones,but they really are fun to shoot. Sending my slide back today to get a taller front post to correct the poa/poi. I have a bad feeling that this won’t be my last one.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Especially with a design like the 1911.

Example: We had a 5" Bul double-stack in the rental case at CCA that was both tack-driving accurate and stupid reliable, and therefore sold a bunch of Buls and the badge-engineered Kimber Ten II's. Oops. Too bad it turned out that gun was a freakish anomaly.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Well, as of today, Wilson Combat is an approved manufacturer for personally owned weapons for my agency - so how do I start a GO FUND ME so I can be the first Fed rocking a EDC X9?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Well, as of today, Wilson Combat is an approved manufacturer for personally owned weapons for my agency - so how do I start a GO FUND ME so I can be the first Fed rocking a EDC X9?
    I’d donate.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List