Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm. What’s the best?

A
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Dan Wesson and Wilson Combat are the 2 I have personal experience with.

I’ve owned 4 1911’s chambered in 9mm, 3 needed tuning to get them to run 100%.

If I was going to bet my life on one, it would be a Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn’t carry a 1911 nor am a fan of engraving. Exception now made.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    He hey, we're talking 1911s here!!
    If you have a budget, probably shouldn't be looking at 1911's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

As a person who's carried a 9mm Commander for the better part of two years, I'll echo what's already been said. DW or Wilson. The choice will be based solely on budget or desire to spend more. Bill Wilson likes the 4" 9mm's better than traditional 4.25" bushing Commanders, and seeing how he knows a thing or two about them, I based my choice on his experience. That said, I opted for a Professional steel frame. If doing it again today, I'd likely go Compact LW frame. When I ordered, I had been carrying a 19 for nearly 10 years, so loosing 33% capacity was already enough for me. I could live with a couple less at this point, just to save some weight. Mine shoots like a pussy-cat though.

One thing to remember when considering a Wilson, they are ALL CQB's when it comes to function and build. Prices only increase up when you gussy them up with things that have no bearing on function and reliability. A $2900 CQB will work as well as a $3999 fancy pants model.

If you don't want to spend $3k+, then DW is the answer for a 9mm. The recently discontinued Valkyrie can be found in 9mm CCO and Commander formats, and I've seen them as low as $1199 on GB. Insane deal.

A pic, because you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    As a person who's carried a 9mm Commander for the better part of two years, I'll echo what's already been said. DW or Wilson. The choice will be based solely on budget or desire to spend more. Bill Wilson likes the 4" 9mm's better than traditional 4.25" bushing Commanders, and seeing how he knows a thing or two about them, I based my choice on his experience. That said, I opted for a Professional steel frame. If doing it again today, I'd likely go Compact LW frame. When I ordered, I had been carrying a 19 for nearly 10 years, so loosing 33% capacity was already enough for me. I could live with a couple less at this point, just to save some weight. Mine shoots like a pussy-cat though.

One thing to remember when considering a Wilson, they are ALL CQB's when it comes to function and build. Prices only increase up when you gussy them up with things that have no bearing on function and reliability. A $2900 CQB will work as well as a $3999 fancy pants model.

If you don't want to spend $3k+, then DW is the answer for a 9mm. The recently discontinued Valkyrie can be found in 9mm CCO and Commander formats, and I've seen them as low as $1199 on GB. Insane deal.

I’ll echo this having owned 6 Wilson’s. If your not going Supergrade, spec what you want, but keep it simple. You’ll lose your a$$ on resale dressing them up (says guy with engraved Supergrade lol).

They are 1911’s built for hard use, and they CAN be run hard and just keep going.

I think StraitR has it right - here's my CQB Elite Carry.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    If you have a budget, probably shouldn't be looking at 1911's.

Lol, this ^^. I do realize that if you want a good, reliable 1911 option, you typically will have to pay for that. That said, don’t hesitate to suggest what you think a great “value” would be that is reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

That is a very sweet looking gun. Thanks for posting the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Lol, this ^^. I do realize that if you want a good, reliable 1911 option, you typically will have to pay for that. That said, don’t hesitate to suggest what you think a great “value” would be that is reliable.
    Buy a used Wilson, deals are out there. I’d guess $2500-2900 depending on what you want. Wilson has excellent customer service on their 1911’s.

Dan Wesson are half that.

Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn both told me Dan Wesson’s are the best value/budget 1911. That’s what led to me purchasing one.

You should really get in touch with Jerry Hammond and/or George Talia before you buy something. In stock Wilsons command a premium due to avoiding the wait. They have much better pricing than most anywhere else.

A properly built 9mm will run and run. This one has 6,727 rounds through it. All original springs, never cleaned, has had 3 stoppages due to junky ammo, and one where I apparently hit the slide stop before the mag was seated.

Agreed on George Talia. Always has awesome pricing. You just have to call him.

That’s sick M2!

Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

User Tag List