Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm. What’s the best?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'd probably hazard a guess that most 5" 9mm 1911s are more troubled than their .45 counterparts simply because the slide isn't moving as fast.
    Well, and the round is too short for the magazine, and frame. And, the system is designed for a straight walled case, while the 9mm is a tapered case. And, the original design wasn't necessarily .45 ACP hollow point friendly, let alone 9mm hollow point friendly. And, when you load the magazine, the top 9mm round sits at a different angle than the round immediately below it.

In observation, it takes so much, from some of the better engineers / gun smiths, to make a 9mm that run well, including both gun tweaks and a variate of magazine designs, to include different types of spacers and "ramps" included in the magazine itself, it does make one wonder if there isn't a better caliber / system for any kind of serious work.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some 9mm 1911s on the range and in a match. I've had an STI Trojan, S&W Performance Center 1911, and still own and competitively shoot a Les Baer Premier II 9mm and Cabot S100. I also have Wilson, Tripp, CMC, Dawson, Mecgar, and Metalform 9mm magazines.

Don't mean to be a downer, but I've been down this road for the long haul, and these are my strong opinions on the matter, based on a bit of experience. YMMV.

[QUOTE=Bucky;802454] it does make one wonder if there isn't a better caliber / system for any kind of serious work.
    QUOTE]

38 Super!!!

(well it would be if someone good would design better JHP's for it)

cc

Site Supporter
    I always thought 9x23 had great potential in 1911. Not as a volume shooter but for reliable function as this would be 45 length.

I'd still like to see a full size X9 series pistol. 5" barrel, 17-18 round magazine.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Well, and the round is too short for the magazine, and frame. And, the system is designed for a straight walled case, while the 9mm is a tapered case. And, the original design wasn't necessarily .45 ACP hollow point friendly, let alone 9mm hollow point friendly. And, when you load the magazine, the top 9mm round sits at a different angle than the round immediately below it.

In observation, it takes so much, from some of the better engineers / gun smiths, to make a 9mm that run well, including both gun tweaks and a variate of magazine designs, to include different types of spacers and "ramps" included in the magazine itself, it does make one wonder if there isn't a better caliber / system for any kind of serious work.
    I agree.

It can certainly be done...but that's a lot of things to get exactly right. There aren't many companies capable of doing that these days.

That's why I think the EDC X9 pistols have a lot of promise...they are 1911-like. 1911 style features without being beholden to the dimensions of the actual 1911 pattern pistol.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I agree.

It can certainly be done...but that's a lot of things to get exactly right. There aren't many companies capable of doing that these days.

That's why I think the EDC X9 pistols have a lot of promise...they are 1911-like. 1911 style features without being beholden to the dimensions of the actual 1911 pattern pistol.
    Yes, the EDC X9 is designed from the ground up to be a 9mm from the ground up, and has some improved modernized features over the 1911. The mags are also 9mm mags, modified from the already proven Walther PPQ. The alignment of the bullet to chamber is almost a straight shot like the Beretta 92, and not a big upward "jump" like a 9mm 1911. I've run a variety of ammo through mine, and it's not had a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I'd still like to see a full size X9 series pistol. 5" barrel, 17-18 round magazine.
    I just want one with checkering. I'd order one today, if it didn't have that X stuff. I still don't know why the single stack edc9 (Pro and Compact) have a base price that's $800 higher than the NEW EDC X9.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I also have one of these. Had a lot of issues with it with the recoil master in it. Went for a GI spring setup, and have had some issues finding the right weight spring. The 10# has been the most reliable so far. Funny yours works with wilson mags, every STI I have had locks up tight when trying to use them. The metal form mags run well, so I haven't tried anything else. The finish was also garbage, so I had it melonited. For what I paid I wish I had spent a bit more and got a 2011, but after messing with mine it now runs well and the finish is holding up.
    Funny you mention the Wilson magazines causing issues as I shot the Duty One 5.0 after work last evening and had multiple FTF from slide lock with the ten-round ETM magazines and 147-grain Fiocchi. Set those aside and grabbed the nine-round Metalform "Springfield ramp" magazines and finished the range session with no further issues. The temperature was about fifteen degrees cooler than the last range session, but the gun had been cleaned and lubed. The gun has just been refinished, so I am still doing "break in" with a twelve pound recoil spring. That being said, the slide cycles very smoothly by hand, with no apparent binding or tight spots. The ejected cases are not landing too far away, so the recoil spring seems right for the loads I am shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I just want one with checkering. I'd order one today, if it didn't have that X stuff. I still don't know why the single stack edc9 (Pro and Compact) have a base price that's $800 higher than the NEW EDC X9.
    Probably a bit more hand fitting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I agree.

That's what intrigued me about the Springfield EMPs.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List