Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm. What’s the best?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    To OP’s original question, I spent the balance of 18 months testing 1911s in 9mm, and the results were interesting. These were all off the shelf models, usually priced around or under $1,000, since apparently my readers are fucking poors.

The best of the bunch was the Dan Wesson Commander in 9mm, and I regret having to send that gun back to Dan Wesson every single day.

The most surprising was a Rock Island Armory 9mm, that at final tally was over 5,000 rounds without a single failure of any type. That was a really good gun, and I used it as my main USPSA gun for a couple of years.

The worst was a Springfield Armory Range Officer which was just a hunk of garbage. It was worse than the Taurus PT1911 9mm that I tested.
    I have one of the early imported RIA 1911s in .45. It's been surprisingly solid. I only have ~1500 rounds through it but I can't recall ever having a malfunction.

Name:  C480FEE9-1FA6-4089-9C3E-558BCAC53280.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  50.9 KB

Wilson Combat Compact Carry 9mm. Shot 400 rounds through it today. 100 147 grain hst and 300 assortment of 124 and 115. Reliable so far and easily the best shooting pistol I have shot. Im sold and while I will always own Glock I have a feeling Wilson combat has won a spot in my holster.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-22-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Shot timer died but accurate description of how I shot

Back in business

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Looks like the 4” Compact 9mm replacement spring is now a 13#. I’d prefer to have the strongest spring I can and still get reliable feeding with the typical ammo I shoot (S&B/Magtech 124gr & Hornady Critical Duty 135 +p). I may order one to try.

I know those flat chrome silicon springs are said to have a 40k life, but I’ve read others having issue with them. You might call and see if they’ll send you a new spring to try. It’s certainly cheaper than them paying to have the gun shipped back.

ETA: Definitely worth checking the extractor, as suggested by M2C above. Potentially fouled channel. Will it push feed with minimal effort?
    Well, I'm back in business - 400 rounds today with no malfunctions...

When I field stripped my 1911, I discovered that it was really dry and dirty. There was little left of the Wilson Lite oil, and there was a great deal of carbon build up, especially on the feed ramp. The extractor channel did not look particularly fouled, but there was definitely gunk in the area. I gave the pistol a comprehensive cleaning, and decided to relube with Slip 2000 EWL.

I also replaced the recoil spring with a 13# Wilson flat-wire. Now, I am one of the guys who didn't have a great experience with a flat-wire kit in my .45 1911, so I'm a bit of a skeptic to begin with. However, after my problematic session I decided to review ToddG's experience with his Springfield/Warren 9mm - for a period he ran a 14# Wolff variable spring (at the suggestion of Jason Burton), but eventually settled on a Wilson flat wire. I noted a comment that the benefit of a flat wire spring in a 9mm 1911 is an increase in closing pressure, and considering my FTRB issues, thought my pistol might profit from this feature.

I had no issues today through 345 rounds of AE 115 grain FMJ and another 55 rounds of Federal Syntech 150 grain. The pistol still looks wet in places, so I think the switch to EWL helped. I thought the flat-wire spring imparted a very controllable recoil cycle - and at no time did the slide feel sluggish. All good things. I'm currently debating the appropriate maintenance interval.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Slip EWL is an awesome lube. I got a quart in 2012 and and it's all I've used ln handguns and rifles since.

Any pistol with long rails like 1911s and Berettas need lots of lube. Lube it every time you shoot, and after you shoot if it's going in your holster!

I don't like taking the extractor out of 9mms any more than absolutely necessary because of the amount of flex it takes to clear the hook and then hooks drags in the channel all the way out. Hose it out real good with brake cleaner or something and leave it in there. I have never seen or heard of fouling in the extractor channel causing an issue in a 1911.

And I've never seen or heard of an over-tensioned extractor manifesting itself at 2000 rounds. Seems we all have different experiences to share.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    All 7 of my DW 9mm’s have shot that way. A few of my .45’s have. You need a .180” front sight. You can send your slide in and they’ll switch it for free. Turnaround time is about a week.
    I think mine came with a .180 front and I had it swapped with a .170 because it was shooting a tad low for my sight preferences. It was probably 2017 manufacture date.

Maybe splitting hairs for a hundredth difference but it's dead nuts on for me now elevation wise for both 147 hst standard pressure and my 147 handload.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Well this thread sucks.

I bought a 9mm Kimber Stainless target which was sitting in the used case looking sad for a silly cheap deal.

I expect some armorer level maintenance may be needed (it is after all...a Kimber) but damn is it a soft shooting gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I decided to press on and see where the demon lives...haven't found him yet. Another 320 rounds today - this time American Eagle 147 grain FMJ...I decided to go with the AE 147 even though I have some misgivings about the flat point bullet in a 1911. But the combination of the flat wire recoil spring and the Slip 2000 seems to be working well - no issues to report, there is still visible lube, and the pistol is cycling well with no decrease in slide velocity. So that's 720 rounds since the last time it was detail stripped and cleaned.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List