Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 in 9mm. What’s the best?

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    If you’re a dedicated 1911 shooter, it is THE gun for everyday carry.

Same size as a G19, grip similar to a Beretta, good trigger, great ergos, softer shooting than a G19, and reliable.

I lubed it 1x and put close to 1k rounds through it. It was pouring rain one day, and I decided to go shooting with it. Not a single malfunction, but broke the gun down and cleaned it.

I’m a fan of the Xtac grip pattern, I have a 45 xtac. I find the pattern doesn’t chew my hands up as much as 20lpi or 25lpi but gives excellent traction.

I, like many on here, have several bench mark tests I run handguns through. It just didn’t do anything “better” than what I was carrying. But, if I was still a dedicated 1911 guy, I wouldn’t have sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you good sir!
    I'm a little surprised it didn't do anything better for you. I figured maybe splits and accuracy would be a little easier/better than most guns.... but as we know, Indian and arrow and all that.

I still can't help being fascinated by that gun, and more and more into "normal" 9mm 1911s as well. The DW Guardian is also calling to me. Those grips may not be the most practical but they're stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    How does that process work?

I like their new TCP but prefer the more traditional look. The TCP 9mm has the light rail alloy frame that I'd like but has that new age space force look to it.

Clicking on "custom" tells you to contact them, but no price/options list given (that I saw).
    Email keith@cz-USA.com. He is the main man at DW and handles all the custom orders.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    FWIW, Keith has told me that for relatively simple customization (e.g., Duty Treat and bluing of certain components), you're better off buying a standard production gun and sending it back to them for rework. You'll likely be able to buy the gun for less money, and get a faster turnaround on mods than you would waiting for a full custom build. If you pay for a full custom build, you're paying full retail for the whole package. Also, you have the opportunity to do the break-in before the mods. For example, if you wanted an all-black Silverback, you'd burnish the rails on the slide by performing the break-in before sending it back and having the Duty Treat applied. It's also a chance to apply some initial wear to the gun, which the custom shop can inspect and make sure everything is as it should be.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-02-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Thank you good sir!
    I'm a little surprised it didn't do anything better for you. I figured maybe splits and accuracy would be a little easier/better than most guns.... but as we know, Indian and arrow and all that.

I still can't help being fascinated by that gun, and more and more into "normal" 9mm 1911s as well. The DW Guardian is also calling to me. Those grips may not be the most practical but they're stunning.
    I split Glocks and 1911’s the fastest, then Beretta. But it’s splitting hairs.

Accuracy-I can shoot 3-4” groups offhand at 25 with all 3 platforms listed above. I’m not the best at group shooting. With a little time on each I can shoot 90 or better on Defoor’s pistol test, and keep them all in the black on “The Test”.

Dot Drill-I shoot Berettas the best, 1911’s then Glock.

Now I spent 9yrs on Glocks, 4yrs on 1911’s and the past 3 primarily on Beretta. I’ve become a better shooter over the years, and I’m sure if I went back to 1911’s full time I’d shoot them just as well as a Beretta.

I've spent serious time with 1911s, Beretta M9s, Sig P226&239 (9mm), and Glock 9mms.

Outside of slow fire accuracy a 1911 doesn't offer any performance advantage to me. The advantage I get is that they are significantly easier for me to carry and conceal than a thicker, blockier pistol, and I'm familiar with a 5" 1911 on a primal level. It's like my first language.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I've spent serious time with 1911s, Beretta M9s, Sig P226&239 (9mm), and Glock 9mms.

Outside of slow fire accuracy a 1911 doesn't offer any performance advantage to me. The advantage I get is that they are significantly easier for me to carry and conceal than a thicker, blockier pistol, and I'm familiar with a 5" 1911 on a primal level. It's like my first language.
    Yep. After attending a builders course, I built 2, 5” 45’s on JEM frames and slides. Proud to say they both run exceptionally well.

That’s why I posted above that you needed to be a serious student of the 1911 platform, especially a 9mm, to carry them. My opinion of course.

putting on my asbestos undies for this but...

I've got Colt Competition 1911's (a 9 and a 45) on my list of future gun purchases. I chose them after finger banging about a dozen different makes/models at a gun store a while back, and the Colt's just felt "right" to me.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I looked and read a lot before I bought a 1911, after a lot of thought I bought a Dan Wesson. Looked for deals first then when I finally understood what a difference in a 1911 like this was versus upgrading a cheaper one I bought it and never looked back. I broke it in per instructions and have never had a problem with it and it is a pleasure to shoot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    putting on my asbestos undies for this but...

I've got Colt Competition 1911's (a 9 and a 45) on my list of future gun purchases. I chose them after finger banging about a dozen different makes/models at a gun store a while back, and the Colt's just felt "right" to me.
    You shouldn't need the asbestos undies. The Competition models are generally good to go. Nothing really special, but solid guns for the most part. The Series 70 versions have slightly better triggers than the Series 80 versions they replaced.

I am seriously looking at the new redesigned STI 9mm tactical after listening to a few YouTube videos. Apparently STI has brought in all new senior management as well as some of their original gunsmiths, like Dave Dawson to revive the brand. Their new focus is on defensive firearms as well as cleaning up QC issues. The result is the new tactical. Apparently a number of agencies including a Federal Agency and LAPD SWAT have been testing them all summer with very positive results. They have also redesigned the magazines with a new follower design. The specs for the gun are:

BARREL - 4.15 inch Bull BarrelFINISH - Diamond Like Carbon - Black ColorMAGAZINES - 1 each, 126mm & 140mm - Teflon CoatedSIGHTS - Tritium Fixed Ledge Rear, Tritium FrontGRIP - Tree Bark Texture 2011[emoji768] Grip - Black ColorOTHER - Recoil Master, Tactical Slim Magwell, Picatinny Railed Frame

Here is a link to one of the YouTube vodeos:

https://youtu.be/ZjO1RCFLokQ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

User Tag List