Thread: CZ clone question.

CZ clone question.

So I just acquired a late '90's small frame EAA Tanfoglio Witness 9 mm in a trade. Seems to be a decent enough pistol, and has responded well to some deep cleaning and judicious internal polishing. But the safety doesn't hold, pull the trigger with it engaged, and the sear hook pushes it out of the way. Pretty sure it's just a worn safety, apparently not an uncommon problem with the older models. I have a new safety on the way, my question is, does it need to be fitted like a 1911 safety, or is it pretty much a drop-in part? Thanks.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I can nigh on guarantee it won't be similar to a 1911 safety given the different shaped sears, triggers and hammers...the fitting process might be similar in that you'll have to disassemble, file, reassemble, test ad infinitum until it works.

Perhaps Enos might have a thread on how to fit it?

Alternatively, if you like anger and frustration, you could see if EAA will do anything to help you other than waste your time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Part showed up today, the answer is yes and no . The part dropped in and the safety now works, but now I can't thumb cock the hammer with the safety off, although it cocks if I rack the slide. DA works normally. So something needs fitting, I just need to figure out what/where. And no, I'm not wasting my time contacting EAA, not sure I'd bother even with a new gun, never mind one that's almost 20 years old. Later, and thanks for the response.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Alternatively, if you like anger and frustration, you could see if EAA will do anything to help you other than waste your time.
    Dude. Really? You sent him to EAA? C'mon... You almost deserve an arm bar for that advice, man...

I'd reach out to Ben Stoeger pro-shop and ask Timmy Meyers who he recommends: Jim Bodkin in TX is a possibility, Henning Walgren in CO another one.

Don't. Contact. EAA.

Dug into it again this morning, turns out the problem was the trigger block safety, the plunger spring was putting too much pressure on the sear. Started by grinding a little off the plunger, didn't fix the problem, and there was still the spring pressure issue. So I started clipping coils until I could manually cock the hammer, then took another half coil off just for cushion. Everything is now working properly, short of test firing, and the trigger is now lighter and smoother in both SA and DA. Later.

Dave

That should have read firing pin block, not trigger block. Make more sense now?

With the Tanfo Stock 2 it’s pretty common to replace the 2-piece sear with a 1-piece sear, and to have to use a different height safety plunger. The sear usually needs to be fitted to the safety. Since the sear is the less expensive part the usual tactic is to progressively remove a little material from under the hook os the sear until the safety fits.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    With the Tanfo Stock 2 it’s pretty common to replace the 2-piece sear with a 1-piece sear, and to have to use a different height safety plunger. The sear usually needs to be fitted to the safety. Since the sear is the less expensive part the usual tactic is to progressively remove a little material from under the hook os the sear until the safety fits.
    This isn't a Stock 2, it's one of the earlier base model Witnesses, doesn't even have a rail. One piece sear on this model, and the right side sear leg activates the firing pin block plunger. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I've got it sorted out now, I may risk the wrath of the wife tomorrow and test fire it out behind my shop. If more problems show up during live fire, it'll probably be time to order a new sear, although the one in there shows little wear. Later.

Dave

WOW! Test fired it this afternoon, only 10 rounds, but what a soft shooting sweet-heart of a pistol! Trigger is excellent, even with the long take-up, and fast, accurate double taps are a piece of cake. Now I REALLY can't wait to get it to the range and run a couple hundred rounds through it! Later.

Dave

User Tag List