Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot Calling

Shot Calling

I’m going to disagree with @caleb on this. I do not find dryfire very helpful in developing shot calling. In fact, too high a ratio of dry to live fire can make you focus on where the sight was when you press the trigger (aiming), not on when the sight was when it lifted (shot calling).

I do agree that there is a lot to be gained by watching the sights in dryfire to develop a good trigger pull.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-31-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m going to disagree with @caleb on this. I do not find dryfire very helpful in developing shot calling. In fact, too high a ratio of dry to live fire can make you focus on where the sight was when you press the trigger, not on when the sight was when it lifted.
    I don’t disagree with any of that, I just don’t think you can develop it purely in live fire. You have to dry fire without recoil to be able to see where the front sight is when you slip the surly bonds of the sear, and once you develop that reasonably well you can go to live fire and start watching the front sight’s movement when there’s a loud noise that goes with it.

Site Supporter
    I've found working with a RDS to be an interesting addition to my shot calling...it gives a pretty detailed tracking of how my trigger press will affect the alignment of my barrel with the target.

It has very much made me prefer a trigger with a "rolling" break...but also with a smooth stroke. The traditional Glock trigger (or really any trigger) with "take up and then a wall" is something I have come to despise because it hitches my trigger press and can cause the alignment of muzzle to target to suffer. Then again, I press my trigger the same way for every gun...I do not take up slack...I press straight through.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m going to disagree with @caleb on this. I do not find dryfire very helpful in developing shot calling. In fact, too high a ratio of dry to live fire can make you focus on where the sight was when you press the trigger (aiming), not on when the sight was when it lifted (shot calling).

I do agree that there is a lot to be gained by watching the sights in dryfire to develop a good trigger pull.
    I agree with this as in the past I’ve had a VERY high ratio of dry fire to live fire practice. Reading the sights at trigger break and through recoil is only really going to be learned during live fire.

Dry fire will show you any pre or during ignition pushes you are imparting and that’s all. Any inconsistencies that your grip has at ignition or during recoil are only going to come out during live fire.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Huh? Who cares where the sights go after the bullet leaves the gun?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I agree with this as in the past I’ve had a VERY high ratio of dry fire to live fire practice. Reading the sights at trigger break and through recoil is only really going to be learned during live fire.

Dry fire will show you any pre or during ignition pushes you are imparting and that’s all. Any inconsistencies that your grip has at ignition or during recoil are only going to come out during live fire.
    Your brain is too smart for that. It quickly learns that the gun doesn’t go bang during dryfire, and saves those nasty preignition pushes and early pulling-off-target problems for real live fire.

Dryfire makes you fast and consistent at all the non shooting stuff, and builds a good grip and trigger press. But you’ve got to live fire to build shot calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Huh? Who cares where the sights go after the bullet leaves the gun?
    Where the sights were when you pulled the trigger isn’t always where they are when the gun actually fires and the sight jumps.

Let me amend my previous comments with a discretionary "Assuming you aren't a flinchy bitch when you're calling shots" . That needs to be solved way before any shot calling skill development.

I don't noticeably flinch anymore and I rarely live fire. YMMV.
    Last edited by Peally; 08-31-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Let me amend my previous comments with a discretionary "Assuming you aren't a flinchy bitch when you're calling shots" . That needs to be solved way before any shot calling skill development.

I don't noticeably flinch anymore and I rarely live fire. YMMV.
    There are at least five reasons we miss, and only one of them is a preignition push:

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil
    3. Timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    4. Transitions: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target.
    5. Sights: your aim was off

If I ran Peally's School for Kids Who Can't Shoot Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too I would sum all that up as:

- You were a flinchy bitch
    Or
    - You didn't aim well

User Tag List