Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shot Calling

This can also depend upon skill level. Rob Leatham calls his shots almost exclusively based on the sights before he presses the trigger.

Lately, I have been calling my shots based on a combination of the sights/dot before I press the trigger, how the trigger feels during the press, and anything unusual I see in the dot during the press. A red dot pistol is very helpful to me in developing shot calling ability, regardless of whether you shoot a dot or irons.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’m a big fan of shot calling, especially as a production shooter, and you can see in any match video I post, examples of me making up shots due to shot calling.

Shot calling is a skill you need to work on in dry and live practice. It’s a skill that can never be too ingrained or too developed in my opinion. After a year or more of working at it I still have not perfected it, and I always feel there is room for improvement.

For long distance shot calling, I think there is no better drill than to shoot than 25 yards groups on B8’s. You usually can’t see the results of your group until you walk forward to see the target, so you can work on your shot calling during the entire sequence. For short distance stuff a good way to learn to call your shots is to use a shot up, non taped target, and place a fresh target on the back of that target. Shoot your drill and then try to call your shots before looking at the back of the target to see if you called your shots correctly. Tape only the holes on the back target and repeat.

Regarding the process of shot calling; I find calling shots of fast stuff way more difficult than calling shots on slow stuff. Your sights are in constant motion when you are shooting fast splits and a lot of times calling your shots comes down to “man, something didn’t look or feel right on that shot”. If you follow that feeling, 9 times out of 10 you will make the right call.

The video below shows an example of this at about 3:14 in the video. On that stage I was moving backwards through a stacked target and something didn’t feel right on the last shot on the top target. I was already moving off the target to the next array (which is probably why I had problems) and decided to go back and make it up after I shot the next array. Sure enough, when I went back to it I discovered that I had thrown a mike. You can also see that I made up another shot shortly after that on the next array (bottom target between the two poppers), I believe that one was just a Charlie, but I made it up.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It has very much made me prefer a trigger with a "rolling" break...but also with a smooth stroke. The traditional Glock trigger (or really any trigger) with "take up and then a wall" is something I have come to despise because it hitches my trigger press and can cause the alignment of muzzle to target to suffer. Then again, I press my trigger the same way for every gun...I do not take up slack...I press straight through.
    As a novice shooter compared to most here I struggle every session with "pressing straight through". If I can feel the wall or anticipate the break in slow fire my mind tends toward "nnnnNNNGGG KYAH!" With effort I can overcome this but rarely maintain that focus for more than 50 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    As a novice shooter compared to most here I struggle every session with "pressing straight through". If I can feel the wall or anticipate the break in slow fire my mind tends toward "nnnnNNNGGG KYAH!" With effort I can overcome this but rarely maintain that focus for more than 50 rounds.
    You might find it helpful to follow TPC’s steps of isolating the trigger press, and letting recoil happen.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List