Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan starts tomorrow on Amazon Prime

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan starts tomorrow on Amazon Prime

I searched and came up with nothing prior. Thoughts? I had a hard time seeing him as anyone but Jim from the office but I think this could be a good role for him. I'm not a Clancy expert so I don't know if he'll do the book character justice, but we've seen that before with Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher. Jack Ryan was never a Reacher type to me so someone like Krasinski might do fine. I have high hopes because of what they've done with Bosch, and I am a Harry Bosch novel fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-J.../dp/B073RQ7KP4

"In creating a Millennial-friendly Jack Ryan, the showrunners (Carlton Cuse and Graham Roland, both veterans of Lost) do everything but give the CIA analyst a hankering for avocado toast..."

Brutal.

One less thing to worry about, I suppose.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    "In creating a Millennial-friendly Jack Ryan, the showrunners (Carlton Cuse and Graham Roland, both veterans of Lost) do everything but give the CIA analyst a hankering for avocado toast..."

Brutal.

One less thing to worry about, I suppose.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Dang. I was hoping it wasn't gonna suck. Well Ozark season 2 is released tomorrow as well, looks like I'll watch that one first.

"Jim" was pretty good in "13 Hours."

I plan on watching.

The only movie that’s based on anything written by Tom Clancy that’s worth a damn was The Hunt For Red October.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I searched and came up with nothing prior. Thoughts? I had a hard time seeing him as anyone but Jim from the office but I think this could be a good role for him. I'm not a Clancy expert so I don't know if he'll do the book character justice, but we've seen that before with Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher. Jack Ryan was never a Reacher type to me so someone like Krasinski might do fine. I have high hopes because of what they've done with Bosch, and I am a Harry Bosch novel fan.
    Each iteration of Jack Ryan on screen gets further and further away from the character in the original novels. I can't recall the Ryan of the books ever getting into a fistfight, but they made sure to write one into Patriot Games. Ryan never sets foot in Colombia in the novelization of Clear and Present Danger, but he spends half of the movie on the ground there. Part of the problem is that Ryan isn't always the center of the story in the novels, but the movies must revolve around him.

But more egregious was how the films treated the rich supporting cast from Clancy's books. Ensuring that the films revolved around Harrison Ford meant characters like Clark, Chavez, and Murray were poorly developed at best and disposable at worst. What I've seen so far from the trailer that's been released doesn't give me much hope in this respect; Greer appears to have little to do with the original character.

Considering the actual Clancy novels were almost all written pre-9/11 (I'm not counting the ghost written works that have followed), I don't expect the original stories to inspire much of the plot for the television show, but I could be wrong...apparently the show runners originally planned to adapt Clear and Present Danger, and the second season is reportedly already filming in Colombia.

Personally, I wish we'd see an adaptation of Clancy's original works more along the lines of the recent AMC take on Le Carre's The Night Manager (the same production company is filming The Little Drummer Girl). The novels are perfect mini-series material - Cardinal of the Kremlin is tailor made for this format (a great Clancy novel, but the only way it could be made into a movie would be putting Ryan on the Hostage Rescue Team so he could take part in the book's sole gunfight). Still, I'll tune into Amazon's effort, and I hold out hope that television will prove a better medium for a more intellectual story, and will allow for better development of the wider cast of characters.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-30-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thank you for the explanation. Respect...

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Each iteration of Jack Ryan on screen gets further and further away from the character in the original novels. I can't recall the Ryan of the books ever getting into a fistfight, but they made sure to write one into Patriot Games. Ryan never sets foot in Colombia in the novelization of Clear and Present Danger, but he spends half of the movie on the ground there. Part of the problem is that Ryan isn't always the center of the story in the novels, but the movies must revolve around him.

But more egregious was how the films treated the rich supporting cast from Clancy's books. Ensuring that the films revolved around Harrison Ford meant characters like Clark, Chavez, and Murray were poorly developed at best and disposable at worst. What I've seen so far from the trailer that's been released doesn't give me much hope in this respect; Greer appears to have little to do with the original character.

Considering the actual Clancy novels were almost all written pre-9/11 (I'm not counting the ghost written works that have followed), I don't expect the original stories to inspire much of the plot for the television show, but I could be wrong...apparently the show runners originally planned to adapt Clear and Present Danger, and the second season is reportedly already filming in Colombia.

Personally, I wish we'd see an adaptation of Clancy's original works more along the lines of the recent AMC take on Le Carre's The Night Manager (the same production company is filming The Little Drummer Girl). The novels are perfect mini-series material - Cardinal of the Kremlin is tailor made for this format (a great Clancy novel, but the only way it could be made into a movie would be putting Ryan on the Hostage Rescue Team so he could take part in the book's sole gunfight). Still, I'll tune into Amazon's effort, and I hold out hope that television will prove a better medium for a more intellectual story, and will allow for better development of the wider cast of characters.

User Tag List