Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jury Decisions in Use of Force Incidents

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I think the actions of both his partner and his sister during the trial and its aftermath are informative.
    Can you flesh this out with a link or further comment? Google didn’t get me very far.

Edit: nevermind. A simplistic "roy oliver sister" search got me enough to get the gist.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-31-2018 at 09:46 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Can you flesh this out with a link or further comment? Google didn’t get me very far.

Edit: nevermind. A simplistic "roy oliver sister" search got me enough to get the gist.
    Similarly, from an NBC story:
    At trial Oliver claimed that he fired at the car after seeing it move toward his partner, Officer Tyler Gross, and thought Gross's life was in danger.

But Gross testified that he did not fear for his life and didn't feel the need to fire his own weapon.
    That bodycam footage makes it hard to defend. This isn't a case of "Err'body had their guns out and started blasting", this is one guy suddenly goes cyclic and everybody else is like "Dude, what?"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Wasn't it Texas that used to let ya shoot some-buddy off the top of your wife? Can't remember if it was considered justified homicide or just a lesser charge.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Wasn't it Texas that used to let ya shoot some-buddy off the top of your wife? Can't remember if it was considered justified homicide or just a lesser charge.
    In the common law, that is the classic example of manslaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Similarly, from an NBC story:

That bodycam footage makes it hard to defend. This isn't a case of "Err'body had their guns out and started blasting", this is one guy suddenly goes cyclic and everybody else is like "Dude, what?"
    This has obviously gotten a lot of publicity down here. His partner saying he wasn’t scared and the video of the car going in opposite direction pretty much shot the defense down.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Jury Decisions in Use of Force Incidents

I am a defense attorney in the DFW area. The two questions some of the local bar members have been asking are (1) why did they convict him of premeditated murder and (2) since they convicted him of murder why did they only give him 25 years.

The obvious answer is the jurors were not in agreement on the verdict and ended up horse trading a particular verdict for years.
    Last edited by TR675; 08-31-2018 at 08:27 PM.

User Tag List