Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The J-frame of shotguns.

The "gun shop" stupidity aside, small women can and do handle any firearm they are willing to handle until age/infirmaties takes over.
    Desire/want, need, are their only limits.
    I've known young, tall, fit, athletic women who don't really "want" to shoot hand back a shotgun in disgust.
    My 4'-10 3/4" (don't forget that 3/4"!) Mom shot 12 ga with good effect thru a Rem 1100 until she was 81 yrs old. But she saw and had the need. She can't do it anymore but that's the ravages of age and arthritis.
    My fit Daughters can and do rock the heaviest recoiling firearms I own, with a smile & a giggle and I own some decent recoil producers.
    It is to me, more of a "want to" issue than a "can't do because I'm small or I'm a woman" issue.
    Those that don't want to, never will. Those that want to/see the need to, will deal with the appropriate power/recoil levels with style.
    With the weight of the gun, there are usually ways to deal with that (ie small frame 20 Ga with a choke the gun likes and ammo that patterns in it). Recoi,l to a determined woman is a non issue in my experience.

Of course a short, light weight AR carbine in 6.8 with good bullet selection trumps ANY shotgun for the frail elderly in my opinion. Just harder to hit running coyotes & feral dogs and not so hot on snakes under the car next to the house : ).

Again, 20 Ga rocks for a lot of people.

I stand on my opinion that J-frame revolvers and shotguns are not for beginers but for those willing to use, practice, and understand/live with/live with the limitations of their guns. And that most things done with a J-frame could of been done easier with a K or larger frame Smith.
    Pick your compromise. We all make them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The reasoning often given is that women can’t handle the 12.

The primary problem with the 20 is the lack of quality defensive loads.
    Mrs. Drang is 5'1". She has a hard time handling any long gun. She can just about manage a 20 ga. coach gun, or some pistol caliber carbines.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Mrs. Drang is 5'1". She has a hard time handling any long gun. She can just about manage a 20 ga. coach gun, or some pistol caliber carbines.
    My wife is not petite, but when she wanted a shotgun, we found a 20 ga Mossberg 510 on the rack at the LGS.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/510...e-field-50485/

It only holds 3 rounds in the magazine tube, and while it has dual action bars, the way they mount to the forend is not supremely robust....I have doubt that it would make it through a hard-use 1-2 day shotgun class....but it will run through the ammo in the gun.

On the other hand, it sports an 18.5" Vent-rib barrel with Accu-Set chokes, the bolt is chromed, and the recoil pad is soft and spongy. Field loads aren't bad. Buck and slugs are stout, as I'm unaware of any "low-recoil" 20 ga. It will recoil out of your hands trying to hip-shoot with 3B.

So, for non-dedicated shooters, particularly petite ones who have trouble with long guns that are too big, it's worth looking at. It's positively tiny at the 10.5" LOP. I probably ought to install the spacer, but it's still usable.

Hers is set up with a magnetic FO tube on the vent rib, and an early Streamlight PolyTac in an Elzetta mount.

Name:  IMG_1248.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1249.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1250.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  28.2 KB
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    My wife is not petite, but when she wanted a shotgun, we found a 20 ga Mossberg 510 on the rack at the LGS.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/510...e-field-50485/
    Thanks, Chuck, we'll look into that.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List