Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The J-frame of shotguns.

The J-frame of shotguns.

The 20ga is the J-frame of shotguns. Well intentioned people tell the "little lady" that she can't handle a 12ga and convince her to go with a 20ga.

The problem is a complete dearth of a quality defensive buckshot load in 20ga. None of the available stuff patterns anywhere close to FFC.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The 20ga is the J-frame of shotguns. Well intentioned people tell the "little lady" that she can't handle a 12ga and convince her to go with a 20ga.

The problem is a complete dearth of a quality defensive buckshot load in 20ga. None of the available stuff patterns anywhere close to FFC.
    ...and the typical 20 gauge shotgun is lighter than the typical 12 gauge shotgun. While firing a payload that ain't a whole lot lighter than a typical 12 gauge payload at velocities that are higher than low recoil loads in the 12 gauge.

This results in more felt recoil than a 12 gauge using quality defensive ammo like the FFC low-recoil LE loads. Which is often one of the primary reasons the 20 gauge is suggested in the first place.
    3/15/2016

I agree and disagree. The worst are the various .410 guns marketed to women. Because .410 sucks.

I've got two 20-gauge guns set up for defensive purposes and half-a-dozen 12s. What I've learned is 20s absolutely require screw-in chokes. Because 20-gauge buckshot is typically either No.1 (Rio) or No. 3 (Rio/Remington/Winchester) the dearth of options means you have to adjust the gun to suit the load, not the other way around. This makes it a bit more frustrating to sort the gun out initially. That's where screw-in chokes become the real key. In my experience No. 1 Rio from a Remington 870 Youth, will pattern close to 9-pellet 00 Flite-Control, when fired from an I-Mod choke. That's a pretty tight choke for most work, but the patterns are close, with the occasional 9th pellet flier, No. 3 Remington works better from a more open choke (Mod or IC). In terms of recoil, it's subjective, but full power 20-gauge buckshot compared to full power 12-gauge buckshot has less recoil (physics), but as mentioned the 20-gauge guns are generally lighter so subjectively they feel about the same.

The flipside is - a smaller statured person (like my 5'1" tall wife) can swing and move the 20-gauge gun more easily than the 12 and thus she practices more with a 20-gauge pump than anything else (by virtue she is supremely comfortable with her 20). The shorter LOP and shorter length on the pump on the 20-gauge gun also helps. Anyone under 5'5" is probably better suited to the smaller frame gun.

___

All that said, if cost isn't a concern, it's clear many folks would be best served by a soft recoiling semi-auto 12. Which will reduce recoil to below 20-gauge levels and give you the extra punch of the 12.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Are the No 2 and No 1 buck loads not working out well?

Hopefully one of the major players will make some good buck loads in 20 ga. Id like to have a Tac 14 in 20 ga.

Agreed on shot, but in many ways a 20 gauge Benelli M2 loaded with Brenneke slugs is an awesome instrument. The Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs actually have better sectional density than the Brenneke Classic Magnum in 12 gauge, and their recoil impulse is noticeably less even in the lighter weight M2 20 gauge, feeling about like .308 out of an AR, and allow very fast follow up shots. My wife totes one around in grizzly country.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Agreed on shot, but in many ways a 20 gauge Benelli M2 loaded with Brenneke slugs is an awesome instrument. The Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs actually have better sectional density than the Brenneke Classic Magnum in 12 gauge, and their recoil impulse is noticeably less even in the lighter weight M2 20 gauge, feeling about like .308 out of an AR, and allow very fast follow up shots. My wife totes one around in grizzly country.
    Which would be fine if that's what the "little lady" was toting out of the shop, but that's not the case. Slugs also present some issues with over-penetration.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Our Mossberg SA20 serves my wife well as anti-predator role in suburban/rural Canton GA.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Our Mossberg SA20 serves my wife well as anti-predator role in suburban/rural Canton GA.
    What load is she using and what patterns is she getting?

Site Supporter
    What load is she using and what patterns is she getting?
    Threats are assumed to be 1) Copperhead snakes, 2) Coyotes, and 3) 2 legged predators . It is kept loaded with multiple (I think 4) SPARTAN 20 Gauge #1 Buckshot (9 pellets) and 1 round of whatever heaviest dram 20 gauge 7.5 birdshot load as first round (assume 1st round on snake). Flashlight mounted on the OEM rails.

I do not have a great deal of data on patterns as mostly functioned fired then on hand in basement. A few weekends ago, wife went to range with me and she practiced with her M&P 9mm plus the SA20. (Note - the SA20 did not like cheap 20 gauge "promo" birdshot - became a single shot.). The SA20 functioned fine with the heavy birdshot and with the SPARTAN brand #1 buck. No issues keeping all the #1 buck inside the "torso" of USPSA targets at 15 yards - tight group in A zone and a few C and D zone strikes.

Which would be fine if that's what the "little lady" was toting out of the shop, but that's not the case. Slugs also present some issues with over-penetration.
    Around AK and MT, we will take all the penetration we can get.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List