Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The J-frame of shotguns.

If you're talking about casual users, then maybe the heavy 12 Ga with FC low recoil is the fast, easy and effective answer.
    For those folks my opinion (?!) says a shotgun isn't their best option anyway.
    But there is a small but active number of folks who have and shoot 20 Ga (and 12 for that matter) with very good effect using relatively cheap store bought ammo/handloads with the choke their gun likes.
    As great as the FC wad is (and it is), it is not the end all of shotgun patterning with buck to those who have the time and ability to dial in a good buckshot choke/ammo/gun combination. Especially if they shoot ammo in volume and want to practice with their real-use loads.
    Not to even mention Vang Comp.
    I shoot 12 Ga but know people who would not give up their beloved 20's for love nor money and they are VERY effective in buckshot/slug land with those guns to long (shotgun) ranges, but they have put in the time and effort to dial in what works in their gun.
    The East coast guys that hunt with buckshot have done a large amount of testing of chokes and ammo (at fairly long shotgun range) have made it easier to shorten the experimental phase for the rest of us.
    My opinion is that neither a revolver (specially a small one) OR a shotgun is the better choice for casual shooters outside of very short range, both require a bigger & more often time investment to make sound hits than a carbine or a high capacity semi pistol.
    But most gun forums are populated with folks who make that investment.
    OP's take of "all pellets in the chest inside the home" just doesn't apply to a lot of people who regularly clock predators outside at night. Anyone who's inside my rural home as already killed several very good, very protective, very loud dogs and I'm awake and armed before they can get anywhere near an outside door.
    I understand the urban or suburban life is way different. But 20 Ga rocks for many.

My opinion so take it or leave it : )

I wish Federal would get around to making a FliteControl #1 or #2 buck load for the 20ga. That would change the game, and while recoil would be comparable or a bit more than a 12ga with 8-pellet FC buck, I think the lighter weight and easier handling would have some real upsides for smaller-statured shooters.

But as it stands, the 20ga suffers mightily from a dearth of both quality defensive buckshot and quality accessories.

Site Supporter
    Don't overlook 3 inch magnum buckshot in 20 ga. I see no reason why 20 ga slugs would not suffice for defensive purpose. Once I owned a 20 ga double barrel that shot both barrels within 2 inches of each other at 50 yards with slugs.It was a 20 inch Baikal security shotgun. I regret giving it away. I have a like new Rem 1100 20 ga made on the standard 12 ga frame. Recoil is mild. I plan to have it's vent rib barrel shortened and then fit with choke tubes. Further I will have the gas ports opened slightly to insure reliable function with the cut barrel. Other modifications will be adding a 1 shot mag extension, reducing stock length, and installing a sling. The result will be an Elmer Fudd special.

A 20 gauge semi with an optic shooting slugs seems like near ideal short range powerful "medicine" for ban states, or the 50 state legal long gun.

Maybe not for cartel hordes, or doorkicking in Fallujah, but personal defense against criminals? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    A 20 gauge semi with an optic shooting slugs seems like near ideal short range powerful "medicine" for ban states, or the 50 state legal long gun.

Maybe not for cartel hordes, or doorkicking in Fallujah, but personal defense against criminals? Sure.
    When I did the math, the Brenneke 20 gauge Classic Magnum slug has better sectional density than the same in 12 gauge. We have a Benelli 20 set up for bears, for my wife, and it is handy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

All you guys that keep posting slugs, slugs, slugs, completely missed the point of the original post and you are thus proving it correct.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    My 1100 20 ga is on the standard 12 ga frame and is heavy. For this reason recoil is mild. Ditto for my two standard weight 20 ga 870's on the 12 ga frame. Arthritis drives my search for a mildly recoiling shotgun. I do agree that low recoil 12 ga buckshot can't be beat for most folks.
    Last edited by willie; 07-09-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Don't overlook 3 inch magnum buckshot in 20 ga. I see no reason why 20 ga slugs would not suffice for defensive purpose. Once I owned a 20 ga double barrel that shot both barrels within 2 inches of each other at 50 yards with slugs.It was a 20 inch Baikal security shotgun. I regret giving it away. I have a like new Rem 1100 20 ga made on the standard 12 ga frame. Recoil is mild. I plan to have it's vent rib barrel shortened and then fit with choke tubes. Further I will have the gas ports opened slightly to insure reliable function with the cut barrel. Other modifications will be adding a 1 shot mag extension, reducing stock length, and installing a sling. The result will be an Elmer Fudd special.
    In keeping with the original post, do the 3” Magnums pattern better than the 2 3/4” 20 gauge buck?

Accuracy not withstanding, when you talk about slugs over penetration is a concern for those of us that don’t have to contend with large, furry critters with claws and teeth.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Don't have data on 3 inch or 23/4 patterns. My concern would be the extra payload of the 3 inch shell. Distance would be typical range inside a house. With shot, some say that 3inch 20 ga loads pattern less well than do 23/4 loads. Reason given is a longer shot string. I have shot enough buckshot not to brag on it past 35 yards and that applies to 12 ga 0 or 00. Fed Flite Control product will increase that range slightly if fired through a cyl barrel. I would hesitate to speculate on an acceptable range for 20 ga buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Uh?

"Here, ma'am. Take this 20ga shotgun because you are too tiny and frail to handle a man's 12ga, but load it with 3" magnum shells so that it will kick just as much or more than a 12ga low recoil shell."
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List