Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangemaster: Intensive Pistol Skills, 8/24-25, Athens GA

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    They didn't when I was there week before last, at least not officially. I'll still call them SOs, cause that's what they're supposed to be in Texas.
    Sheriff's Office is how God intended it.
    Last edited by jlw; 09-04-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    My error. The last training stuff I saw from them said LASO.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
    Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Law enforcement agency in California, United States

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, sometimes referred to as the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office, is an American law enforcement agency that serves Los Angeles County, California.

In VT it’s Sheriff’s Department too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

This D word has been a learning opportunity for me.

It appears that Office denotes an elected Sheriff while Department is a subordinate Sheriff's position to an elected official.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    This D word has been a learning opportunity for me.

It appears that Office denotes an elected Sheriff while Department is a subordinate Sheriff's position to an elected official.
    Not necessarily. Some places like CA get it wrong.

The Office has different meanings in the respective states, and you have to look at each state's constitution and laws.

In GA, the Office of the Sheriff is created by the state constitution. It is not subordinate to the county governing authority, and per a state Supreme Court ruling, the Office carries with it all common law powers brought forth from England and moving forward unless specifically modified by statute. Only the state legislature can mandate or modify our duties.

In some of the northeastern states, the Sheriff is a civil position with no criminal law enforcement powers.

Typically, the d word is misapplied by people who just don't know any better. They think police department and thus Sheriff d-word because both are law enforcement agencies (in most states); however, in GA, a police department only does 1/3 of what a Sheriff's Office does if that.
    Last edited by jlw; 09-05-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Based on what I've read -- and I'm far from an authority on the matter -- in GA the Sheriff's Office is unique from other law enforcement agencies in the state. The Office of Sheriff was created by the Constitution and sheriffs are the only officials with the stated duty to "preserve the peace and protect the lives, persons, property, health, and morals of the people" and must swear to an oath related to the performance of their duties.

The Sheriff's Office also has arrest powers that extend across county lines.

@jlw please correct me if wrong.

The oaths of GA Sheriffs and deputies can be read here.

We do have statewide jurisdiction as a matter of common law.

Site Supporter
    Your blog post on Georgia law enforcement jurisdictions is also very informative.

Our local AL County Sheriff seems to be a solid guy, but I’d be happier and miore confident living in JLW’s corner of the world.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List