Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: National Knife Week?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Every day should be a national knife day.

A knife should be part of everyone's EDC.

Here endeth the sermon.
    I hate working in an NPE. :-(
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I hate working in an NPE. :-(
    Would something like a Victorinox locking blade, thumb-opening Swiss Army knife, or a Leatherman Skeletool work? Either would be relatively easier to explain as a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My current favorite NPE knife-type is an Opinel with the Virobloc ring-lock. The No. 6 is the smallest you can get with the ring-lock, blade length ~2.75". A few things I like about them - low profile non-threatening image, by looking like your grandfather's pocket knife. Sandvik 12C27 stainless blades available, they take a great edge easily (so-so in holding it). The Virobloc ring produces a very nice and tight lockup with high degree of safety, in the open position AND locks the knife in the closed position (bonus for those jurisdictions that try to "gravity knife" every blade). The standard size grip is good for medium-to-large hands. They are thumb-nail two-hand openers, so the risk of looking "offensive" is very minimal. Of course, like all good locking knives, they can simply be sheathed "open" for a fixed blade-type package.

There are a couple of new models that look interesting too. The No. 9 DIY - has a short (2.5") sheepsfoot blade, but with the full length No. 9 handle made or FRN. The No. 9 Oyster, has a nice blade shape, that is also shorter (~2.5") that is thicker than the standard blades. I think regrinding it slightly to get a proper edge and maybe a Besh-like point would make a fine, small, multi-jurisdiction legal, knife.

I really need to bend up some kydex to serve as a pocket or IWB sheath for the blade locked open (an impromptu cardboard/paper sheath works). You can also get them with oversized carveable handles for shaping to your own desire (another on my project list is to get one and carve the handle into something that fills the hand well in reverse grip.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-kn...tainless-steel

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pocket-kn...-carve-handles
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-30-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Would something like a Victorinox locking blade, thumb-opening Swiss Army knife, or a Leatherman Skeletool work? Either would be relatively easier to explain as a tool.

Depends on the NPE and the local laws. I’ve worked sites that didn’t allow anything at all, and others where they didn’t care as long as you didn’t have a gun, and others where a knife was fine, but they really didn’t want it sticking out of your pocket or on your belt - nothing visible so they could “out of sight, out of mind”.

This is what I’m carrying right now. I’m in and out of schools a lot, so low profile is the name of the game.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  32.1 KB
    Last edited by Duelist; 08-30-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Well, because of this thread, I just ordered a couple of carbon-steel blade No. 8 Opinels with oversized handles to carve and shape. One for prototyping, one for actual carry. Current plan is to chop the blade to a 2.5" wharncliffe configuration and shape the handle for reverse grip work - will make a nifty 'soft' NPE tool that is Chicago legal.

I carry a knife when not traveling. I don't check bags normally so I am typically completely unarmed 25-40% of my life. It's not wonderful. I'll feel dumb when I get killed.

I'm carrying an old friend today. It doesn't show up well, but just west of the tip is a 1" scar she gave me 15 years ago because i was inattentive. I think that was the last time I cut myself with a knife.Name:  bogz.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  49.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I carry a knife when not traveling. I don't check bags normally so I am typically completely unarmed 25-40% of my life. It's not wonderful. I'll feel dumb when I get killed.

I'm carrying an old friend today. It doesn't show up well, but just west of the tip is a 1" scar she gave me 15 years ago because i was inattentive. I think that was the last time I cut myself with a knife.Name:  bogz.jpg
    Benchmade Phil Boguszewski spike, yes? Old school.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Benchmade Phil Boguszewski spike, yes? Old school.
    Minispike. My old school roster includes a Military, a Tim Wegner, a Bob Lum Leaf; those guys are all ~20 years old.

More recently I only buy waved enduras and delicas, with two failings: A starmate that I love very much, and a ZT emerson that I despise and need to unload.

Site Supporter

I have one of those spikes also. I quit carrying it after I cut myself with it after the third time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Minispike. My old school roster includes a Military, a Tim Wegner, a Bob Lum Leaf; those guys are all ~20 years old.

More recently I only buy waved enduras and delicas, with two failings: A starmate that I love very much, and a ZT emerson that I despise and need to unload.
    Waved Enduras and particularly waved Delicas are very hard to beat as an EDC knife. The Spyderco version of the wave is gentler on pants and much more reliable than that he waved I have seen on most other waved knives.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List