Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using Full-Size Magazines as a Reload for a Subcompact?

Site Supporter
    Thanks to all for the input! Looks like the sleeves are optional for Glocks but needed for other pistols. I ordered two (from Midway) and will order a pair of mags from CDNN when I get off work today. I'll pick up the Walther this afternoon from the LGS and put 100+ rounds through it this afternoon.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Statistics may say it's unnecessary but I personally don't like the idea of being an outlier here.
    Right. You don't want to be the "guy" in "except for that one guy".

I'm a proponent of full size reloads.
    1) Why not, more is better.
    2) It's practically no more difficult to carry a full size mag than a shorter mag
    3) More to grab under stress

I'm late to respond, but I've always found the "sleeves" make things harder for me, and more likely to induce a pinch during reloads. I use full size mags as reloads for G26/G19, P30 mags in P2000, etc, and have never had an issue NOT using the "sleeves"

Site Supporter
    According to the description on Midway’s website, the Walther sleeve replaces the basepad, so it shouldn’t move. I’ll be aware of the pinch issue when practicing, thanks for the heads-up!

The factory grip extension for the 99c (547869) does not replace the base plate. It slides down the tube and snuggles up against the existing base plate. Midway's description is wrong but the picture is correct for what you will receive.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    In the case of the P99c, the magazine adapter sleeve for the fullsize magazine acts as a magazine stop to prevent over-insertion with the shortened grip. Walther says to use the adapter to avoid damage to the ejector.
    Very much this (same thing with a full sized P99 and extended magazines, as well). Some bad advice in this thread from usually knowledgeable folks who do not know all the quirks of the particular pistol discussed.

For what it’s worth, you need to take it a little easy on the full size mags going in on an out of battery speed reload. Slamming the crap out of a large magazine into a sub compact can get ugly. I have seen some real issues with 10 round 1911’s in particular.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    The factory grip extension for the 99c (547869) does not replace the base plate. It slides down the tube and snuggles up against the existing base plate. Midway's description is wrong but the picture is correct for what you will receive.
    Well, humbug. Worst case, I'll have some range mags with extra capacity. It's worth a try!

Site Supporter

TANSTAAFL, P99C Edition

I went to the range today to work on reloads with the P99C, since it's my first paddle mag release gun. Things went a bit clumsily at first but steadily improved to the point where my reloads with the paddle were about as slow as they are with the push button.

Big learning point about using the full-size mags with the sleeve...while the compact mags eject cleanly, the FS ones don't. The sleeve becomes part of the grip when the mag is inserted, and the sleeve holds onto the heel of my hand wonderfully well when I hit the paddle. In the context of carrying the gun this isn't an issue, since I carry it with the compact mag inserted and the full-size one as a reload, but it could really mess me up in a match.

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Be careful on not using an adapter sleeve on a larger grip. Make sure it doesn’t damage the particular gun you are using. I did it with the Shield I used to have and the magazine went in too far and bent the ejector. I know this doesn’t happen with Glocks, but idk about any others.
    This is an excellent point. One of the excellent design features of the Glock is the mag “stop” is at the top of the magazine, which puts it in the same place on all models, regardless of grip length or mag length. Most other guns rely on the base plate making contact with the grip. With an oversized magazine, the magazine can over insert and contact the ejector. This is especially problematic in single stack guns. This is why 10 round 1911 magazines have a welded stop (or similar) to prevent this.

The only other gun that looks like it has a feature similar to the Glock is the APX. It appears / I believe that’s what the protrusion on the front of its mag is for.

User Tag List