Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Full-Size Magazines as a Reload for a Subcompact?

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Unable to quantify, but I’ve found the 9mms to be less susceptible to this than 40s, as there is more going on with the latter. And point of reference in support of your point... the g26/27/33 use the same mag spring of their larger g19/23/32 siblings.
    I could reliably run 30 round mags in a G26. My G 27 was not reliable enough with G22 mags to use them as spares. Just one of those things people should test extensively before they daily carry them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I did a couple classes with a M&P 9 compact with a 17 round reload with sleeve and quickly found that sleeve gave me a couple issues.

1. The position of that sleeve was not always constant when I went to grab it. Not really a huge deal until you want a firm grip and that thing was dancing up and down the mag.

2. When I hit the mag release with the 17 rounder and sleeve, it didn't release with enough authority. Several times I had to snatch it out.

I rarely do a full size spare mag, but when I do, it's sleeveless.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EricG; 08-29-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    About needing a reload, I saw an interview or read one of the guys who entered the Westgate Mall in Kenya when the government forces stayed out. They were keenly aware that they had limited ammo as they didn't have extra pistol mags. But that is a low probably but high intensity event.

To the thread topic. I carry a G26 mag and standard mags for reloads. I want the grip on the gun to be unchanged through it's usage. In a match, the SO suggested a higher cap back up. I said what I just said and he said it made sense. I have a pouch for two mags. That should be enough for the Zombies.

For a bug - my G42 - if I decided to carry it as a primary, I found a neat two mag belt pouch and a two mag cargo pocket pouch from DeSantis. It fits very well in the cargo pocket. Thus, I have 4 extra mags - 6 rounds each. Yeah, I should carry my G17 - sue me. I usually carry the 26 or 19 but sometimes I want to pocket carry the 42 with the 4 extra mags. Again, sue me.

I've found I tend to use the adapters on extended mags for some subcompacts, and don't use them on other models of subcompacts. I too found some adapters moved up the body of the magazine, but about half a wrap of a not-too-slick cloth tape (gaffer's tape is great) at the base of the mag body under the adapter will keep it in place. Don't recall any problems with mags failing to drop when released, except when the palm of my hand was still against the mag adapter. That has happened several times; operator error.

Don’t really like the sleeve thingies. The ONE time I used one I pinched the crap out of my hand slamming a reload home. I figure if I’m reloading aesthetics is about the least of my worries.

I carry a Magpul 21 rounder as my reload for either the 19 or 19x. The 42 just gets 3 extra mags in the pocket if I’m going super light.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    2. When I hit the mag release with the 17 rounder and sleeve, it didn't release with enough authority. Several times I had to snatch it out.
    Sleeve dragging on your hand? I could see that causing some interference.

Site Supporter
    I have been using a Walther P99C for over two years as my daily carry. My spare magazine is a full size with the sleeve. The sleeve was designed to prevent over-insertion damage. Just like all compacts, you should practice reloads to prevent pinching your hand. I have first hand knowledge of the needed practice.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Sleeve dragging on your hand? I could see that causing some interference.
    That very well could be. I will have to isolate that to find out for sure.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have always carried the specific size magazines for my gun as reloads. Part of this may come from having commenced carrying concealed in 1996, during the Clinton ban. Obtainable Glock magazines above 10 rounds were either unreliable, expensive, or both. I ended up with a few ProMags and a couple of very well used OEM magazines. At that time, I was not able to get a 15 round magazine to function reliably in my Glock 26. Now that good quality 15 round G19 magazines are inexpensive and plentiful, I may have to revisit that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I could reliably run 30 round mags in a G26. My G 27 was not reliable enough with G22 mags to use them as spares. Just one of those things people should test extensively before they daily carry them.
    This is interesting, I'd never heard of that issue before. I've put a few hundred rounds through my G27 with the G22 backup mags I use, including around 150 rounds of defense ammo and hadn't had any problems. I will keep an eye on it and retest it though occasionally.

User Tag List