Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Full-Size Magazines as a Reload for a Subcompact?

Be careful on not using an adapter sleeve on a larger grip. Make sure it doesn’t damage the particular gun you are using. I did it with the Shield I used to have and the magazine went in too far and bent the ejector. I know this doesn’t happen with Glocks, but idk about any others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As others have mentioned, make sure the adapter sleeve isn’t also acting as an over insertion stop. All Glock magazines have a built in over insertion stop so it doesn’t matter if you jam a G17 mag into a G26. The same does not hold true for all other manufacturers. It would suck to be that one guy ever who needed to reload during his ccw shooting only to render your gun inoperable by over inserting your spare mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    In the case of the P99c, the magazine adapter sleeve for the fullsize magazine acts as a magazine stop to prevent over-insertion with the shortened grip. Walther says to use the adapter to avoid damage to the ejector. See Section 4.2.1 of the P99 manual. Take the slide off the frame and insert a fullsize magazine and you will understand the issue.

For carry use, I would not sweat it and would carry the spare however I liked. For range use, I use the adapter.
    Yup, not a good idea to do an aggressive insertion of a full-size mag into a P99c without the sleeve. Once the mag is locked in, unless you're teacupping the gun, I doubt you'd have an issue.

I’ve read, I believe here on this forum, that agencies using compact and full size M&Ps have seen issues when reloading the compacts. I think there can be ejector damage if the full size mag is rammed in too hard

I’ve seen M&P compacts (gen 1, 12 round version) damaged by over insertion of a full sized magazine under stress. Usually bends the ejector if I remember correctly. It’s rare only because the officers who choose to be issued the compact vs. the full size gun are issued the compact magazines. It’s when you have someone issued the compact who is a shooter and decides to train using the full size magazines that the issues pops up.

One advantage of the design of the Glock platform is the magazines have a shelf design into them that acts to prevent over inserting the magazine.

I have used large reload mags on my guns since I started carry 20 round spares to my SiG P226 back in the mid 80’s. Currently I have 20 round spares for my PX4CC’s for daily carry and work. Chances are you will not “need” to do a reload. I can about guarantee I will want to at some point and if that is going to happen I want as much on board is practical to either get me out of a hostile crowd or bad area while awaiting law enforcement.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I always use full size mags as spare mags.

While statistics say you won't need a reload, they also say you won't be in a gunfight. If you find yourself in a gunfight, all the statistics in the world just went out the window for you.

Unless your on fire or drowning, you will never wish you had less ammo.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Duty gun sized mags are larger and easier to manipulate and often have the most reliable springs and followers.

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    Duty gun sized mags are larger and easier to manipulate and often have the most reliable springs and followers.
    Some are exceptions to this. Things like the Glock 27 do not do well with something like a Glock 22 magazine because they have a super short slide moving really fast can out run the ability for a longer magazine to push rounds up fast enough.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Some are exceptions to this. Things like the Glock 27 do not do well with something like a Glock 22 magazine because they have a super short slide moving really fast can out run the ability for a longer magazine to push rounds up fast enough.
    Unable to quantify, but I’ve found the 9mms to be less susceptible to this than 40s, as there is more going on with the latter. And point of reference in support of your point... the g26/27/33 use the same mag spring of their larger g19/23/32 siblings.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List