Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Intervention in Mass Shootings

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Aside from interesting anecdotes, have their been any friendly fire incidents in active shooter situations, real world?

Not being sarcastic, I honestly don’t know, and can’t think of any off-hand.
    The closest I can recall is a situation where a gunman tried taking a church hostage (approximately 100 people), was disarmed by an unarmed good Samaritan, and the responding officer shot the good Samaritan (who may have been holding the gunman's gun). https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

https://local.nixle.com/alert/6407169/

So, it was not a mass shooting but instead a mass hostage situation.

Good Samaritan survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    The closest I can recall is a situation where a gunman tried taking a church hostage (approximately 100 people), was disarmed by an unarmed good Samaritan, and the responding officer shot the good Samaritan (who may have been holding the gunman's gun). https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

https://local.nixle.com/alert/6407169/

So, it was not a mass shooting but instead a mass hostage situation.

Good Samaritan survived.
    That's pretty close. I may end up standing corrected the all is said and done.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I think the friendly fire worry is grossly exaggerated, unless the LEO/SWAT/other random good guy shows up right when you are in the process of shooting the bad guy they aren't going to just start shooting (for the most case) they are going to confront you verbally first then make their decision
    That's presuming a lot. A random good guy will do random stuff. LEOs who think you're in the midst if killing a lot of people are there to stop the killing, no warning required.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    An officer told me off list on a forum that I moderate, that at a mall shooting, a good guy started running from his car towards the mall with gun out. One officer was going to shoot him but was stopped by the guy who told me the story. If true, I can't verify.

I was 'shot' by an officer in a FOF as I stood there as a good guy with hands up because I moved. On the other hand, as a bad guy, I surrendered, put down the main gun in plain sight. Then I reached behind my back for an airsoft pistol and shot one. Then I died.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's presuming a lot. A random good guy will do random stuff. LEOs who think you're in the midst if killing a lot of people are there to stop the killing, no warning required.
    Precisely my concern. If there is anything scarier to a 'random armed guy in an active shooter scenario' than one LEO, it is multiple wound-up LEO's and contagion fire.

I don't look forward to an abbreviated life as a sieve, memorialized as a cautionary tale.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 08-30-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It may be but I really don't think so...the vast majority of people, cops included, haven't come to terms with taking a life and will do whatever they can to avoid it.
    LEO training and the realities of the job reinforcement of this mindset, a active shooter course and a couple briefings aren't going override hundreds/thousands of hours of practical application, again for the most part.

Site Supporter
    It may be but I really don't think so...the vast majority of people, cops included, haven't come to terms with taking a life and will do whatever they can to avoid it.
    LEO training and the realities of the job reinforcement of this mindset, a active shooter course and a couple briefings aren't going override hundreds/thousands of hours of practical application, again for the most part.
    The last active killer training I went through at a school a couple of years ago, one of the deputies running the class told us that we (school staff) should absolutely not pick up the shooter’s gun if we got it away from him/her, because if he (that deputy) came through the door and saw us holding it, he would kill us.

I went through a lot of feelings about that. Many of them were not complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The last active killer training I went through at a school a couple of years ago, one of the deputies running the class told us that we (school staff) should absolutely not pick up the shooter’s gun if we got it away from him/her, because if he (that deputy) came through the door and saw us holding it, he would kill us.

I went through a lot of feelings about that. Many of them were not complimentary.
    People say lots of things but do very different things in reality
    If you are not actively engaged in shooting at someone when that deputy comes across you he will more than likely default to his training, his training is not to shoot first and ask questions later

People say lots of things but do very different things in reality
    If you are not actively engaged in shooting at someone when that deputy comes across you he will more than likely default to his training, his training is not to shoot first and ask questions later
    You go ahead and trust your life on that presumption. With respect to my life, I do not want an officer who believes a mass murder is happening to see me holding a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    You go ahead and trust your life on that presumption. With respect to my life, I do not want an officer who believes a mass murder is happening to see me holding a gun.
    Ok, then take cover and do nothing to save a innocent life

User Tag List