Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Intervention in Mass Shootings

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    IIRC I believe one member here reported a plainclothes officer showing up to a scene and getting shot by uniforms. I can’t recall the specifics.

It’s a plausible scenario to be sure, but I think given too much consideration.
    I’m unsure...

I DO know that when I attended Ed Monk’s EXTREMELY well-researched presentation on Active Shooter’s he refuted the anti’s criticisms to arming teachers/civilian response to active shooters with the fact that the incidence of blue on blue shooting was minimal (and maybe non-existent)? But I don’t have my notes in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still, it would really suck to be the dead poster boy for the "minimal" chance of occurrence debate. (It's not the odds, it's the stakes?)

But it would put a couple of ticks on the Murphy's Law and "no good deed goes unpunished" side of the ledger.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Still, it would really suck to be the dead poster boy for the "minimal" chance of occurrence debate. (It's not the odds, it's the stakes?)

But it would put a couple of ticks on the Murphy's Law and "no good deed goes unpunished" side of the ledger.
    If tactically feasible, I plan on yelling, “STOP! POLICE!” at top volume, while telling everyone in sight to call 911 and tell them what I look like and that I’m going after the bad guy.

If tactically feasible! If not, I’ll run the sash and hope for the best. The old outcome hierarchy, from most desirable to least desirable:

1. Live hero
    2. Dead hero
    3. Dead coward
    4. Live coward

Not meant to be smarmy, but I think if you DO decide to get involved in one of these situations and get into the gunplay, do it right, keep it holstered if not on a threat or shooting, and maintain a professional appearance when armed in public. As John Hearne says, (words to the effect of) “If you’re carrying and not in uniform, you should be wearing a collared shirt.”

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    That’s not the only problem. I’m pretty sure a adrenaline-fueled LEO (individual or group) would shoot you as well if you were visibly armed and engaged in an reported / audible active shooter situation. Fog of war and all that. Unless you are wearing your CCW sash and badge in which case it should all be good.

/semi-serious, semi-sarc

How does anyone know you are a ‘good guy with a gun’?

I think the friendly fire worry is grossly exaggerated, unless the LEO/SWAT/other random good guy shows up right when you are in the process of shooting the bad guy they aren't going to just start shooting (for the most case) they are going to confront you verbally first then make their decision

If you are shot but you managed to stop a mass killing at a couple dead vs 5 or 10 or 20 then you did a great thing...doing the right thing doesn't shield you from bad consequences

Sherm, you're preaching to the choir. I have much more of a propensity to get involved than not...and have to actively rein in my natural instinct to render aid. (And have the scars to show for it.)

My comment above was not intended to tell folks not to get involved. (I wish more good folks would, legally and appropriately.)

I think you've read enough of my posts to have a sense of where I stand on such issues.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sherm, you're preaching to the choir. I have much more of a propensity to get involved than not...and have to actively rein in my natural instinct to render aid. (And have the scars to show for it.)

My comment above was not intended to tell folks not to get involved. (I wish more good folks would, legally and appropriately.)

I think you've read enough of my posts to have a sense of where I stand on such issues.
    Absolutely! You and me both!

But, just like shooting, target discernment, etc., we PF’ers are in the small minority of a small minority, and probably an even smaller monitory among modern day cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    As John Hearne says, (words to the effect of) “If you’re carrying and not in uniform, you should be wearing a collared shirt.”
    Hmmm ... I'm guilty of wearing a slightly large cotton T-shirt unless I am going somewhere that I NEED to be more presentable. Interesting idea.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Banned
    Thank you.

Everyone has an opinion, may as well add mine. Dr. House pretty much got to the point when he asked if anyone can point to a case where an armed civilian got center punched by responding LE. We can all *envision* a scenario where this could certainly happen, just like we can all envision a scenario where an emergency reload made a difference in the outcome of a private citizen DGU... but the lesson of the modern data and video age is that envisioning and what actually happens aren’t always in sync..

My sense is that the stars would have to align in an unusually tragic fashion for things to time out just right (wrong) in an active shooting scenario (as opposed to, say, response to a private residence, where homeowners have been shot because they had guns—a different dynamic at work).

It could theoretically happen. I could also in theory win the powerball, but probably best not to spend too much energy making life plans around the unlikely scenarios.

Thus far, active shootings stopped by citizens and LE response have been either one or the other. The liklihood of both responses happening at the same time is pretty slim, IMHO. I guess I could see joe CCW and an off-duty officer both being at “Thor 4: ragnarak like before" when a metroplex shooting goes down, but barring that, immediate citizen response and called LE response are somewhat mutually exclusive events across the time continuum.

Again, JMO, IANTG*, etc...

*I Am Not Tom Givens
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Aside from interesting anecdotes, have their been any friendly fire incidents in active shooter situations, real world?

Not being sarcastic, I honestly don’t know, and can’t think of any off-hand.

About 2 years ago the Colorado Springs Police Department did an all day active shooter exercise at one of our local churches. They asked church security people to come be role playing extras in the scenarios in exchange for some free training.

In almost every scenario the "security team member" got "shot" even though they were in a uniform.

User Tag List