Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: True Detective Season 3 (Redemption???)

All through Season 2 I was expecting VV to start cracking jokes. Or reenact his freakout with the shotgun from Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Season 1 is my favorite season of television, by far. I’m from New England; one of my brothers just moved to Beaumont. I’ve been bugging him to watch it for months now. I’m planning a TD-themed day trip into New Orleans where I check out some of the filming locations.

My next purchase is going to be the S&W PC 627 (or the easier to carry PC 686).

I have high hopes for Season 3 but after Season 2, I’m nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Be great if it could be as entertaining as season 1...right up to near the end of the season where it started to lose my interest with its overwrought and forced occult b.s.
    My thought at all the occult references was "sociopathic hicks who play a controversial D&D supplement?"

Sorry, obscure reference, I know it's a Bierce story, but to me it was like saying "Cthulhu". Kinda like when South Park really did it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I picked up The King in Yellow but haven’t had a chance to read it yet.

Site Supporter
    Pretty good so far, through Ep 2.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Agreed. Not my favorite show so far. But I am invested and want to keep going. Much more streamlined story than Season 2.

The age jumps for Det Hayes look real. The makeup has come a long way. 1980 for the murder, 1990 for the deposition, and 2015 for the TV interview...

I will stick with it.

FYI, Marashala Ali is sporting a blues 4” Python, and Dorff has a 3” Smith 19 (??) from what I can tell. Seems about right for 1980 cops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I didn't even realize season 3 had started. I'll have to watch both episodes tonight.

Definitely going with a slow burn vibe, probably in response to the criticism of all the theatrics in Season 2. I'm enjoying the actors but I'm ready for something to happen next week.

So far, so good. Neither the missus nor I could tolerate season 2 and abandoned it after an episode or two.

The characters appear to be well conceived thus far, but the dark and dour mood may be a bit overdone. Someone needs to lighten up just a hair.

The way they put the age on Ali from 1980 to 1990 to 2015 is extremely well done. Makeup has come a long way.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So far, so good. Neither the missus nor I could tolerate season 2 and abandoned it after an episode or two.

The characters appear to be well conceived thus far, but the dark and dour mood may be a bit overdone. Someone needs to lighten up just a hair.

The way they put the age on Ali from 1980 to 1990 to 2015 is extremely well done. Makeup has come a long way.
    I agree, although I did get all the way through season 2, thanks to Kelly Reilly.

Season 3 is better than 2, but not quite as good as 1, so far. Ali at 3 different ages is very believable.

I'm also finding that I like the weekly release format... Adds a bit of anticipation and keeps me from bingeing, vs. the way Amazon releases shows like Bosch that kill a whole weekend then leave me in a show hole.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 01-16-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Liking it so far. Will see if it lives up to Season 1, but that's a high bar to get over. I don't think Season 2 deserved the hate it received. It's main weakness was the highly convoluted plot with threads going nowhere. The performances were all excellent.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List