Thread: Vang Comp FFC package

Vang Comp FFC package

I recently acquired a 14" 870P with a fixed modified choke barrel. I sent it to Vang Comp for their new FliteControl optimization package.

The first two targets were shot by me. I was in the process of sighting it in with slugs when I launched my Allen tool into the abyss; so, the gun is hitting a little high. In the 15 yard target, I snatched it left. The leftward bias is shooter error.

Both of these shots are with 00 FFC.

Here's the 25 yard shot (with KY windage):

Today I let a student shoot it in a Rangemaster shotgun class. Here are three rounds fired at 15 yards with #1 FFC:

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Very interesting.

Chief, do you have a link to any further info on this package? I checked their website, and only saw their regular backboring stuff.

I do have one of their 14.5" barrels, including the porting. It does work well.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Very interesting.

Chief, do you have a link to any further info on this package? I checked their website, and only saw their regular backboring stuff.

When you send a gun or a barrel in they'll talk to you about what you want done. I've currently got a Winchester 1300 getting rifle sights installed and Hans himself rang me up to chat about it before beginning the work.
    3/15/2016

I would be interested to know what they actually do when the shotgun is FC optimized, considering the accumulated experience with FC thus far is that no form of choking actually improves the pattern.

I would also like to see some side-by-side tests of standard vs VCS FFC, that would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I would be interested to know what they actually do when the shotgun is FC optimized, considering the accumulated experience with FC thus far is that no form of choking actually improves the pattern.

I would also like to see some side-by-side tests of standard vs VCS FFC, that would be interesting.
    I'm not certain what they do specifically for FFC. I learned of the package from John Johnston. I sent this barrel in because the fixed modified choke was not working and playing well with the FFC wadding. When I discussed it with them, they didn't even have a name yet for the FFC package.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I called Vang Comp last week and spoke briefly with Hans. Didn’t really get an answer as to what they do differently on that package. I’m torn whether or not I want to send in my 14” 870P barrel, given the fixed choke issue. I did test my 870P against my Vang Comp 1300 barrel with Hornady Versatite and couldn’t really tell much difference. With Federal 9-Pellet 00 buckshot (not FC), the difference was noticeable.

My 14” 870P with fixed modified choke

And my Winchester 1300 Vang Comp barrel

Same ammo. Same day. I fired one shot at the head box at 5 Yards, a three shot pattern at 15 Yards, and a final shot at 25 Yards. I taped everything outside the -0 before the 25 yard shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have a 1300 Defender that shoots FFC 8 pellet into a 7" group at 25...so when I sent it in I didn't feel the need to add any barrel work.
    3/15/2016

Does it improve non FC patterns too?

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Does it improve non FC patterns too?
    The student that borrowed it ran some cheap stuff through mine, and it did good with it, but I can't speak for Vang as to what it is supposed to do.

Email I got back says it does not improve non flite control loads.

User Tag List