Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One sight to rule them all?

Man I'd have a few more pistols in my arsenal if I could get back most of the money I've spent on sights over the last couple of years...

I'm 100% in agreement with Caleb in that I think the light space around the front blade is more important than everything else (I actually just made a marathon post about it in this thread:http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...nt-Sight-Width).

I don't really have competition guns and carry guns anymore, I pretty much either carry/shoot a 1911 or a Glock. I tend to shoot the 1911's more in competition do to their triggers, and carry the Glocks more do to their reliability, weight and simplicity, but I'm fine with either in either situation. I too came around to really digging shooting with plain all-black irons after trying everything under the sun and going to them on all of my guns, I've even pretty much gotten over night sights as I don't really see them as a real necessity for me anymore...

That said, I really like the Heinie's that are available with the wide-notch and with the tritium in a 2-dot straight-eight set-up (dimmer in the rear), they put the tritium in the blade without the white "dot" or any paint around them so unless it's low-light they just look like all-black sights, uncluttered, no gimmicks. I'd recommend these to a shooter who wants their carry sights that just gotta have tritium to be as close as possible to their competition sights.

I've become a fan of the Hackathorn style sights.
    Blacked out rear square notch cut fairly wide, tritium front with a bright orange/red outline.
    Since these style sights aren't available for H&K's I've started making my own.
    Trijicon NS, blacken the rear white outlines with a black marker, paint the front sight bright red with a Sharpie oil based paint pen.
    Tritium for low light, high contrast bright front sight for daylight, unobtrusive rear sight.

We are diminished
    I was extremely happy with the Ameriglo i-dot Pro sights I shot today. It's their very wide i-dot rear with a Hack front. While the front sight is very wide, I found the combo fast up close and very accurate at distance without giving up any speed compared to other N&P sights.

I'm sold on the Ameriglo Oporator Pros!! Green front Yellow rear.
    The rear has a .180 notch with a .125 front, it's very fast and gives up no accuracy loss at distance.

I like the standard I-Dots as well.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I liked and used the Novak bar-dot nightsights for a long time, but as my eyes get worse and my situation changes I'm moving toward something big, noticeable, and fast, probably the Ashley Express (yes, I know some don't like them but they work great for me and my needs) or some sort of a fiber-optic with an enlarged rear notch.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I just switched out the rear sight on my Sig 1911 for a 10-8 Peformance u-shaped rear. I really, really like this, especially compared to the narrow Novak rear sight that was on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I just switched out the rear sight on my Sig 1911 for a 10-8 Peformance u-shaped rear. I really, really like this, especially compared to the narrow Novak rear sight that was on the gun.
    I have the same rear on my Ed Brown along with a Novak front NS. I love that rear sight. It's what got me started putting blacked out, serrated, wide notch Ameriglos on my GLOCKs. I use the Orange ProGlo up front like several others here. I have all my GLOCKs set up exactly the same .... whether for games/carry. I like consistency.

EDIT: I don't find the U shape distracting. It looks a bit odd if I'm actually looking AT it but when looking down the slide and focusing on the front I don't notice it at all. If anything, it seems to make it disappear more.

Like JodyH said ... I just picked up a HK P30 with the factory installed Mep NS. I plan to paint the face of the front around the tritium with an orange paint pen. I just hope I can hold it steady and not F it up.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 03-21-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: answered a question

I like the wide notch, but I find the U shaped rear distracting. It draws my focus to the rear sight instead of the front. Did you find this initially and get used to it, or just have no problem with it?

Site Supporter
    The U notch doesn't work well for me either.

I didn't have any issues with the U-notch yesterday doing rapid fire, I'll test it out tomorrow at some intermediate to long range shooting.

User Tag List