Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP100 evolution and interchange?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

GP100 evolution and interchange?

Since GP100s lack the "dash" convention of S&Ws, is there a break point in GP history where early and later parts can't be used on the same gun?

My understanding is that with the "Six" series, if Ruger doesn't have parts available to repair it, they'll offer a discount on a new revolver. Does non-availability of service parts extend into the GP100 era? Or can you pretty much expect a GP to be serviceable in the unlikely event that something wears out or breaks?

It make sense that if you have a pin-drive extractor, you may need some additional action parts, like the hand at least, to be replaced if you have to replace the cylinder with a square-relief (current) style. But is that a sure thing? In essence, could you take a frame from an old gun and drop in new parts (with reasonable fitting, rather than modification) to get it functioning?

In a sense, what I'm asking is, if one purchases an older GP and invests in some customization, is there a risk of that investment being lost due to non-availability of service parts, which would not be a risk with a newer gun?

And question 2, what is the end-state of desuckification likely to be on older vs newer guns? My GP100 MC has some goofy cosmetic geometric inconsistencies that are annoying to my OCD but don't really affect function, but the action is remarkably excellent after smoothing and deburring all the gubbinses. Is it reasonable to assume that any GP100 can be made at least as good, or is there something about build quality or consistency on older models that makes them more or less able to be smoothed out? Are issues commonly encountered on current production like canted barrels or barrels not perfectly centered in the frame more or less likely to be found on older models?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Interesting question as I have one I bought in 1986 and one a year or two ago.

I've had four: 4" Target Gray Adjustable sighted model, 3" 357 Adjustable sighted model, 5" Adjustable sighted model and a Adjustable sighted Match Champion 4" all in 357.

Best shooter of the bunch so far: the 4" Target Gray model, very smooth factory action, tight tolerances. Still wringing out the MC with a Novak front night sight and new loads.

The MC is a companion to my Ruger 77/357 Carbine with NECG Peep and Volquartsen trigger. 170 and 180 grain loads being tested in both platforms so to carry only one load.

The 5" was just too barrel heavy for extended carry. 3" was ok nothing great. Should have quit with the Target Gray but it's long gone and haven't had that accurate of GP since. 6 shots into 13/16ths of an inch at 25 yds from a rest, full house 357s.

Last edited by Zeke38; 08-26-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Beats me. I just swapped for my first ever, a 10mm MC. The 10mm chambering is probably the only thing that could move me to obtain one.

An IDPA acquaintance described wearing out a GP100 from a year of intense dry-fire drills. I wish I could remember what exactly he said wore out, but when he sent it in to Ruger, they replaced it.

Never known one to wear out, but if you get up early and stay late at the range you might. Seen a lot of them on the range and they are tough. You do have to practice to give the trigger a full stroke or you can bind it, by short stroking it. Most guys quit carrying them due to weight. Would like to try and I might purchase a Wiley Clapp 10mm 3" as I already load for the 40 S&W.

I bought a used one that was blasting unburnt powder back at me when fired. I called Ruger and they said it was made in 1989. They also said it had a factory defect and installed a new barrel and grips at no charge. So as far as I know there isn't much difference in the first one ever made and the most recent one. I also can't believe someone bought a new gun in 1989 and put of with getting blasted in the face with crud every time they shot it for 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Never known one to wear out, but if you get up early and stay late at the range you might. Seen a lot of them on the range and they are tough. You do have to practice to give the trigger a full stroke or you can bind it, by short stroking it. Most guys quit carrying them due to weight. Would like to try and I might purchase a Wiley Clapp 10mm 3" as I already load for the 40 S&W.
    Go dig up the thread on the 10mm MC. Ruger has tested it with .40 and ignition is not sufficiently reliable for life saving equipment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I believe just about everything is compatible between new and old GPs.

Some of the new ones come with "compact" grips that as I understand it are simply SP101 grips but they should take regular size GP grips as well. I think there's a difference in some of the sight cuts as well but those are more sub-model dependent than a generational issue.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Name:  A5265D7E-3F09-45CE-BD8D-C4502DF4BF48.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  70.0 KB

Did someone say “evolution” of the GP100? Like...put a dot on it? In all seriousness, this is a brand new 10mm gun direct from the factory; which as I do with all GP100s dating back to longer than I’d care to admit, I detail stripped and fucked with the springs. Without using a pair of calipers, I can tell you that all the parts you’d change out at the armorer level are all exactly the same as they’ve always been.

I can't address the second question, but have some experience with the first question.

My GP100 was manufactured in 1995. Around 2012, I shipped it to a gunsmith, who was highly recommended, for a trigger job. When I got the GP100 back, the trigger pull was indeed smoother.

However, in 2014, it started spitting bullet shavings. Upon examination, I realized it was out of time (cylinder wasn't locking up fully in firing position before the hammer dropped). I called Ruger, and was very up front about the fact that I had a gunsmith work on it. Ruger paid to have it shipped back to them. They replaced the parts the gunsmith worked on, and that put the gun was back in time.

The point is, the gun was manufactured in 1995, and 19 years later, Ruger replaced parts in it to make it good as new.
    Ordinary guy

User Tag List