Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking Life Jacket chest holster options (water resistant)

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    True enough. I figured this would become a 'boating gun' and would routinely be exposed to water, salt air, etc. Time to see what HK's "Hostile Environment Finish" is all about.

Thanks for the replies.
    Fair enough. Modern polymer guns are pretty rugged.

I was a commercial lobsterman for 10 years. My g19 saw a little surface rust but it wiped right off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    If I felt like there was remote chance I might need to draw my pistol quickly while kayaking, I’d find a different place to kayak.
    I don't know where you live or what your lifestyle is like, but if I were apply that same logic to mine I may as well stay home and never go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I don't know where you live or what your lifestyle is like, but if I were apply that same logic to mine I may as well stay home and never go anywhere.

I live in a country where the crime rate makes your neighborhood look like the safe part of Mayberry. I am sometimes unarmed. There are many areas here I would never go to unless I have to for work, unarmed or not. If I do go there for work, there's a reason and my personal safety by nature has to take a back seat.

However, I'm completely comfortable going certain places unarmed.

I whitewater kayak, and I've heard of more than a few kayakers having weapons pointed at them by angry landowners. But they were using an illegal put in or trespassing on private property, and the landowners were fed up. I'm pretty sure the number of murders on Class 3+ rivers is approaching zero and they are probably one of the safest places to be. (I'm sure someone will google for a report of a murdered kayaker.) So no, I don't think I need a readily accessible pistol on me at all times, and yes, while kayaking is one of those timed. I also don't kayak the Anacostia River.

So I stand by what I said. Feel free to not apply my logic to your life.

I'm a little late to the party, but...

I'd ask what sort of kayaking you're envisioning? If most of what you're doing is flat-water type stuff, I've had pretty good luck carrying a compact pistol in the splash-proof front pocket of my vest. (I wear an Astral "Green" model for rescue work) It's the built in equivalent of one of the HPG chest rigs and provides similar access.

If you're envisioning actually being submerged regularly, rolling, potentially swimming, etc... (read whitewater kayaking) I'd be looking at different solutions. In those roles, I've had pretty good luck paddling with a compact pistol in a mini Pelican case or a small dry bag accessible immediately inside my skirt. I've also dabbled with wearing a "fanny pack", worn in the front, immediately UNDER my skirt. It's serviceable; On the plus side, it's actually on the body. But access is obviously a bit more limited if you're in the boat, and the gun typically still gets a bit damp, thereby requiring maintenance/attention.

I've done 20+ day Grand trips, and many assorted other shorter outings utilizing a mixture of these solutions and while they're not ideal, they're functional. Couple ideas anyway...

If you are serious about this, and it appears you are, I can provide more than just snark.

The Astral Green Jacket has been the standard in rescue jackets for many years. It has a chest pocket for a small throw rope. You could probably figure out a way to bolt in a holster for a semi-compact. I'd go with a Safariland ALS for the retention.

The sliver of orange is my throw rope.
    Name:  Green Jacket one.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  93.5 KB

G19 (not fully inserted)

Name:  Green Jacket three.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  42.3 KB

You can barely see the butt of my G19 (fully inserted)

Name:  Green Jacket four.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  46.2 KB

Looks like there is an updated version of the Green Jacket. I would imagine the throw bag pocket is the same dimension, since bags have been designed around the Green Jacket.
    Last edited by BigD; 08-27-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I'm a little late to the party, but...

I'd ask what sort of kayaking you're envisioning? If most of what you're doing is flat-water type stuff, I've had pretty good luck carrying a compact pistol in the splash-proof front pocket of my vest. (I wear an Astral "Green" model for rescue work)
    I was typing my response as you posted this.

Edit: I'm not sure if I can get the 19 in the zippered pocket of my Green jacket, but was trying to give him a 'quick access' option (which i feel is completely over the top.) Looks like the updated version of the Green jacket has a bigger zippered pocket. Mine is the older velcro/snap pocket.
    Last edited by BigD; 08-27-2018 at 01:16 PM.

I have a HPG kit bag and a PFD, and I wouldn't want to wear them both at the same time.

There are sketchy people just about everywhere, but once I'm on the water the main hazard is powerboats or jet skis. I also don't want to get hung up in or out of watercraft, so I really don't want a bunch of shit hanging off of me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A Pelican mounted to the deck of your kayak would seem the better option, in my opinion. You'll have to put the paddle down to draw the gun from a chest rig. A gun mounted on the deck would be almost as accessible as one in a chest rig and you logically put your paddle down in front or behind the pelican on the deck. It won't be obvious what's inside to someone standing at an oblique angle to you when you open the lid (for instance someone standing on shore/dock or a boat deck nearby). If someone is attempting to rob you, your phone/wallet/keys can be in a (or the same) Pelican case. Simply flip it open like you're complying and draw your HK and go to work.

For on-body I would mount a good knife to your PFD, upside down on the weak hand shoulder for either hand access. A Spyderco Fish Hunter - https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPF...polymer-sheath - Will offer plenty of blade for defensive work (though I can't imagine trying to use a knife while in a kayak defensively; it would seem your paddle would do more there) while offering plenty of cutting power for loosing yourself from anything you might get caught on. The bright yellow handle against a black or red vest will be obvious to other observers, I would think of it like the natural warning sign of bees or wasps, "WARNING! PAIN MAY OCCUR IF FUCKED WITH." - Anyone who approaches you while you're putting in or getting out of the water, will see the knife on your PFD and probably avoid.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-27-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    So I stand by what I said. Feel free to not apply my logic to your life.
    Ignoring your personal safety out of laziness is not logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'd put it in a waterproof bag somewhere handy, or mount something to the yak. It's not like you're going to get in a shootout on the river.

I've been at some landings in the inner city at dawn by myself. It's not a comforting experience. I have a built in dry box in my Hobie PA14, but much prefer to carry the gun on my person. As someone who has had to self rescue recently - as in last Friday, I don't want something on my chest while trying to re-enter besides my life vest.

I don't know how I missed this topic on the first go around.
    Last edited by Clay1; 08-10-2020 at 12:31 PM.

User Tag List