Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking Life Jacket chest holster options (water resistant)

Kayaking Life Jacket chest holster options (water resistant)

In search of a solution to carry a HK pistol mounted on the chest area of life jacket that is somewhat waterproof. Something between mounting a Pelican case on a life vest and having a vertically mounted Kydex holster which doesn't protect the gun at all. I found the Seahorse P17 holster on Amazon, but no model is offered for the HK.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 08-25-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: more info

The gun is waterproof, why not get a holster that makes the gun accessable?

I'd put it in a waterproof bag somewhere handy, or mount something to the yak. It's not like you're going to get in a shootout on the river.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'd put it in a waterproof bag somewhere handy, or mount something to the yak. It's not like you're going to get in a shootout on the river.
    If I felt like there was remote chance I might need to draw my pistol quickly while kayaking, I’d find a different place to kayak.

I’d be thinking more of an accessible blade in case you get hung up in fishing line, nylon rope, or whatever.

I solo kayaked for years in some pretty big water and around a lot of people I didn’t know. Simply having an accessible utility knife on your chest is pretty off-putting to some.

In a kayak it’s easy to escape and hard for others to follow.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Hill Peoples Gear chest rig. Not water proof but splash resistant, pistol is covered.

Well any plastic holster is waterproof, as is your gun. Say, BladeTech with Teklok attachment would secure easily to the straps on a life vest.

Don't forget a lanyard. It's the unsung hero of the pistol world. Especially over water.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    If I felt like there was remote chance I might need to draw my pistol quickly while kayaking, I’d find a different place to kayak.
    Yup, I've always gotten invitations to the fights I've gotten into and they were always in dark alleys in the city.

I've been to boat landings from Alaska to Rhode Island and there's been a few sketchy individuals in between.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Hill Peoples Gear chest rig. Not water proof but splash resistant, pistol is covered.
    I'm on the water a lot, and I own one of these. If I wanted to carry, this is the route I would go, overtop an older style kayaking vest.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The gun is waterproof, why not get a holster that makes the gun accessable?
    True enough. I figured this would become a 'boating gun' and would routinely be exposed to water, salt air, etc. Time to see what HK's "Hostile Environment Finish" is all about.

Thanks for the replies.

User Tag List