Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling when shooting

Smiling when shooting

I think many shooters understand that extra tension degrades rather than enhances shooting performance. It is especially easy to feel tension when trying to make a fast draw or shoot close targets quickly. Recently, my wife and I have been experimenting with smiling when drawing and shooting, and it seems to be helping with performance. Anyone else experimenting with this?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

George: You absolutely must write a book about shooting. You have offered up some of the most interesting and intriguing concepts about shooting I have seen or heard over the several years I have had the pleasure of knowing you! It would be a shame to have the concepts lost with time! Keep them coming!

Oh, and of course I will be found at my next shooting session smiling away! Amazing what an open mind is capable of accomplishing!

Got to work on that tomorrow. Match pictures show that I normally bite my lip while shooting.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

It takes more muscles (thus less tension) to frown than to smile. Smiling also has the added benefit of putting one in a more positive frame of mind.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"Let me see your war face!!"
    - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    Bullshit, you didn't convince me
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Bullshit, you didn't convince me
    "Work on that!" 🤣

"Work on that!" 🤣
    For the last couple of years I have started shooting a stage by breathing through my mouth and keeping my mouth open. Just feels more relaxed. Sorta similar.

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I tried this while riding a motorcycle - I ended up with bugs on my teeth.

User Tag List